Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Seeds...

I have been writing a book now for sometime with all the magical, medicinal and historical uses of herbs and plants in the garden from medieval times to now. I need to know, and cant find it anywhere, how you know what seeds can be planted 'ripe' straight from the plant or stored. Can anyone give me a rough guide line as to the rules of seeds please??

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I am afraid there are no simple rules of thumb to use, you just have to look at each plant individually. You will need to look at a good refence book. Sorry.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi Sam.

http://theseedsite.co.uk/

This site has a lot of info.

I also have a book called 'Growing from seed' by Karen Platt.

I think everything can be planted ripe. The problem is getting the surroundings right. That's hard for tender plants. I don't grow tender plants and sow almost everything as it ripens. 

Do what happens naturally for hardy plants, sow it when the plant is dropping it and keep it as it would be kept natually, under snow, wet, cold whatever. It's how things have evolved to survive

Ranuculaceae, apiaceae and primulaceae all benefit from the ripe sow/chill as do paeonies.

There are always exceptions but if it's in a berry or a pod I stratify it. 

Seeds naturally germinate and many will whatever you do with them.

In the sticks near Peterborough