Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Seeking suggestions on back of border periennal

ecokidecokid Posts: 138

I'm looking for some suggestions on what to plant at the back of the border of my front garden.

Specifics:

• Full sun. Poor sandy soil.
  • Ideal height should be between 80-100cm. Max width would be 80cm or so.
  • Quite exposed and so nothing too fragile
  • Colour -  Prefer blues or yellows, possibly white, red or orange.
  • Periennal.

I've spent a while designing my front garden but am struggling to find the appropriate back of border plants. I thought sunflower maximiliani would be perfect until I read that it can grow to 2.5m. image Verbena would have been great too, but really don't want purple in the front border, which rules out most lavenders.

Cheers

-

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    Helenium 'Riverton Beauty', Phlomis, Rudbeckia, Echinops, Euphorbia wulfennii...

Agastache 'Blackadder' and Salvia 'Amistad' perhaps (slightly tender but should come through most years if the soil is well drained)...
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

Would an achillea suit? Lychnis chalcedonica or silene regia...

Maybe a campanula for the blue although I don't know if they like sandy soil...

What will you be planting around it/ in front of it, ecokid?

Wearside, England.
  • Kirstin84Kirstin84 Posts: 12

Delphinium?

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Brilliant suggestions so far. I'll focus research on some of these. I love Rubeckias, but the ones ive looked at only grow to 60cm, which is too short as Id like a little screening of the front window during the summer. 

Funnily enough Victoriasponge I am thinking of an achillea "moonshine" to go mid border. I've also got some agastache germinating as I type as well as some echinops- only two sadly. image

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    While it's always best to work with what you've got, in a small front garden bed you can improve the soil by giving it plenty of manure, and the odd bucket of water.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour".