London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
3 messages
29/04/2012 at 23:00
I have a self-seeded honeysuckle that I dug out from my mother's garden some 5 years ago. It didn't go into a border until 2010 and has never flowered. This year it has really taken off. Is it likely to flower this year or is this never going to happen. The original plant is gone and no one knows when it was removed. The flowers where pale pink and white and at least 50 years old. I would love to see it flower and perhaps reestablish it again.
30/04/2012 at 08:40

I would think the original is either the lonicera periclymenum Belgica (the early Dutch one) or Serotina (the late Dutch one). They are cultivars of our native wild honeysuckle that have been around for a long time. I suspect the seedling won't come true to seed. It might not produce so many flowers, and the colour may be more like the native species, white and yellow. But...... you never know. It should certainly produce fragrant flowers. You won't have long to find out!

30/04/2012 at 19:45

Ohhh are they soon to flower? It has never done that. It is getting quite big this spring. I think it has grown meters (if you add all the branches together.

email image
3 messages