London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
11 messages
03/10/2013 at 22:17

I was a tab bit slow in collecting seeds from foxglove, the pods exploded and there are now hundreds of seedlings growing in a flower bed. Which is fine as I didn't sow any for next year.

The question is they are very tiny and will they survive the winter for flowering next year. I was going to thin them out and replant some in a nursery bed is that a good plan or should I pot some up and try to protect them in the GH or just leave them where they are?

03/10/2013 at 22:29

they'll survive, it's what they did before we came along and organised them. Thinning them would be a good idea though

04/10/2013 at 21:15

Thanks for the reply nutcutlet beginning to think I might be on everyone's ignore list .

Will thin them out, but they are spread in a tiny area and grow into huge plants, is it still worth potting up some of the thinned out seedlings and if so would multi purpose compost be ok and kept in the GH over winter.    

04/10/2013 at 21:21

I'd just prick them out from the ground and transplant them to another piece of ground. But multi-purpose would be Ok. you could try coaxing some on in the GH over winter but they don't need it

04/10/2013 at 21:24

Didn't see this thread 

Absolutely agree with Nut.  It's what I do with mine every year. 

04/10/2013 at 21:42

Will do, this weekend. Growing foxgloves was a real success this year, first time grown from seed and they were huge, bee's loved them, just need to be mindful were they are planted, definately a back of the border plant.

Also had Sweet William which has self seeded in a trough so will just transplant them.

04/10/2013 at 22:21

I read somewhere that one foxglove can produce over a million seeds so you've got a busy weekend ahead zoomer! 

I collected the as many seeds as I could from mine a couple of months back but still have seedlings popping up everywhere, the warm weather we had last week really gave them a boost and think I'm going to let nature take its course with those. 

06/10/2013 at 19:53

I can well believe that GR. As the flowers went over I dug up my foxglove and composted them, just leaving three different varieties to collect seeds from, but not before, I'd split, a few, not ready to pick seed pods and there were loads of seeds in them.

07/10/2013 at 00:05
I collected seeds too, but as you all say they have thousands of seeds so plenty to do with what you will. The bees love em too. I really love the cottage garden look they give and that's my aim for next year.
07/10/2013 at 09:21

07/10/2013 at 23:12

Leave them be. Once I'd planted one, there are dozens year on year, self setting.  I sometimes catch the seed of one particular colour, but all I do is scatter it elsewhere and it grows. Very low maintenance!  

If the site is very exposed, you can pot some up and keep in a greenhouse until spring, but even in an exceptionally cold winter you are unlikely to lose them all!  

email image
11 messages