London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
5 messages
10/04/2013 at 15:22

I am thinking of getting some 'Semperviviums' for my gravel border.

The gravel is approx 50mm ( 2 inches ) thick on weed suppressing fabric.

Would the plants be able to spread ?

Are there any good mail order websites for them ?

Many thanks.

10/04/2013 at 16:06

If you lived nearby i could give you hundreds. I keep them in pots in a gritty soil and they seem to go mad, producing "babies"all over the place. Im sure a local garden centre will have them

10/04/2013 at 16:19
I love sempervivum...semmapriven......sempermin...
I love houseleeks.
Sempervivens Nursery looks promising Stephen
Hope its what you need
10/04/2013 at 17:13

Verdun -I think you mean 'Andrew Preview'...no that's a different joke isn't it?

I like to call them 'Sempervivians'...I just potted up a couple of little 'babies' from one as they were all looking a bit sad. I'm quite fond of them and most of the GCs have them. Easy to grow if they have the drainage.

10/04/2013 at 18:18

I don't think they will survive just on gravel with no access to nourishment. They do well in gritty compost in shallow pots with gravel on top and survive well in drought conditions, but they do need somewhere for their roots to dip into.

My OH calls them semperviviums too (there's no second 'i' ) and I tease her about it, but she is mad keen on them, so keen we went to Devon on holiday last year just so she could call in on the National Collection holder (and visit Rosemoor!). She can't bear to let 'babies' go, and keeps finding homes for them. they survived a really cold winter, even some that were planted in a heavy clay border. 

email image
5 messages