London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
7 messages
28/04/2013 at 10:57

Hi,

I have just purchased a gorgeous Senetti yesterday. I was wondering how to make more of these plants. Cuttings or seed extraction? How would I go about doing this?There is not much on the internet about how to do this.

28/04/2013 at 11:16

I experimented with senetti few years back hoping to produce summer floweriing plants by cutting back very hard.  They produced short dumpy plants ..not too impressive.

Cuttings were easy.....after flowering I just inserted non flowered shoots into mpc with added perlite.  Kept pinching out to produce bushy plants for next spring.  

They can be hit by frosts though.

30/04/2013 at 10:08

Have you looked at the label on these plants? It said on one I looked at yesterday it is illegal to propagate these without a seed growers licence.

The Senetti name is copyrighted so I don't think you could sell them as such but they are a hybrid so they might get called something else

30/04/2013 at 12:25

Commonly called cineraria.

Bill

04/05/2014 at 21:10

I am a complete novice when it comes to taking cuttings, what confuses me is everyone says to use non flowering shoots for cuttings. but every shoot seems to have a flower on it.

My wife bought 2 senettis from homebase very nice but a bit on the pricey side, so it would be good if we could grow some for next year from cuttings.

If anyone could advise me how to go about this I would be very grateful. If only there was a taking cuttings for dummies website!

05/05/2014 at 06:26

You can get flowering shoots to root try cutting the flowers off when you prick them out so the cutting concentrates on rooting rather than flowering.

13/05/2014 at 19:48

could you use a "deadheaded" shoot? got plenty of them. sorry to be a numpty but I cant find out what you mean by pricking out, the mrs told me to stop it or she'd deadhead me! ( told you I was a novice lol)

email image
7 messages