London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
21 to 40 of 97 messages
27/07/2013 at 17:58

Still on the seed weeds. Erinus alpinus, Dianthus known as Ipswich Pinks, Nectaroscordum siculum, St Bernard's Lily (cannot rmember the proper name)

Others still to come.

27/07/2013 at 19:48

Nuisance plants for me are the b****y weeds that come from thoughtless neighbours' gardens.

If I plant something myself and it becomes a pest, it gets chucked. If something's already there and I don't care for it - pest or not - it gets chucked. That way - I don't really have nuisance plants.

It's a hard school with me! 

27/07/2013 at 19:57

Does it have to be just plants or weeds.  I can think if lots of things I would like rid of.

27/07/2013 at 20:16

Vinca minor, lilly of the valley, bamboo, some kind of pale pink phlox which is spreading everywhere!

27/07/2013 at 21:00

Another one, Dierama pulcherrima. Forgot to dead head 2 years ago and not we have hundreds coming up, despite weeding them out last year.

Don't get me started on plants that spread by other means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27/07/2013 at 21:07

Oh Tina you've made me chuckle again

The dogs who bark near you must be somewhere on your list

28/07/2013 at 09:28

Another seed weed, Roscoea scilloides, the black flowered form. Wish the pink form of this was as prolific.

28/07/2013 at 09:51

Brave of you to post a photo Keen. I think most of us are rather shy. The potty gardener and I have actually met. Some of us live a long way apart.

I have a huge single flowered rudbeckia, I think it's Herbstonne, which is a thug. My daughter once gave some Impatiens Balfouri as I thought it was pretty. It seeds itself everywhere and is related to Himalayan Balsam, not so thuggy as that though, and smaller. 

28/07/2013 at 11:09

Hi Salino - Busy-Lizzie  ( and all). Just a comment abouit that hat. Firstly I thought that you was so astounded at my good looks you could only think to comment on the hat. I am a modest person but well aware of my very personable appearence ( hesitate to say good looks).. I used to have quite a number of folk walk around my first garden and it was quite on the cards to be told on departure -"  great to see your lovely garden and also the lovely gardener". - you get used to it.  Modesty forbids me from saying more lest you get the impression I am a tad conceited.  Now ref that badge  - that is the badge of  "The Royal Corps of Signals" which I served in years ago -very proud to have done so . Wear it on my "sunhat" for that reason and also its does attract other ex Sigs types to come and have a chat whilst out and about..

28/07/2013 at 11:22

Hi all. back to shockers. I mentioned yesterday a plant I have always liked - its a British native I think and its a Euphorbia. Name is Euphorbia lathyris and grows thus - a single stem up to 2 -3 feet - leaves at 90 degs equally spaced up to the top and in due course theres a topknot of greenish yellow flowers. If allowexd to these set large seeds in sectioned pods which in time and in the hot sun explode noisily and send the pea sized seed in all directions - possibly up to 20 feet away. A lovely stately accent plant I think but its seeding habits are the shocking part - they get everywhere although easily recognised and plucked out.   It is also called the Caper Spurge but of course has absolutely no connection with Capers at all  -  believe all Spurges are  poisonous and have that very caustic milky sap which is nasty if it gets on you at all. First garden I had Wulfenii, characias and the smaller mirsinites but got rid of them for this reason.   Others comments ref these plants pse.

28/07/2013 at 11:34

Hi all. Heres another and hopefully this plant may ring bells with someone out there.   I cannot for the life of me remember its botanical name but when I bought it from a cottage garden they called it "Flowering Lettuce" which it looked very much like (Cos) except that the foliage was a nice blueish colour.    I am going back to the 60's-70's here and had looked it up in books where it stated there was two versions, one a goody and t'other very much a baddy. You have guessed it - I got hold of the baddy.     I planted it at the end of a 20ft long mixed border in one spring and all looked well all that year and even to the next summer but then I noticed small bljue shoots coming up everywhere full length of that border.. In due course ( end of season) I had to remove every single plant - comb out and wash all the roots of the lot to get rid of it which fortunately I did.     As I sai I cannot remember the full name but I think the second was ---- bourgattii or similar.    Any ideas?.

28/07/2013 at 11:44

Another thing I hate is vinca minor, it's hard to pull up and it's smothering everything at one end of my big border. Will have to do a big digging job on it this winter. Don't know where it came from, I never planted it and there wasn't a bed there before, wasn't even a garden.

Someone gave me some plants that I put in another bed, including that big rudbeckia and he must have had that spreading yellow lamium because it's grown like wildfire. Quite pretty leaves and pulls up OK, but it just makes more work.

28/07/2013 at 11:45

Hi all. Last for the moment. Another plant,  a real spreader but on the surface and not difficult ( I found) to keep back although it always meant business.   I grew it as attractive ground cover for a difficult dry place -  called  Ceratostigma plumbaginoides. About 8-12 inches high it has wiry stems and smallish oval leaves a proportion of which turn a real scarlet in Autumn when it flowers with lovely true blue flowers - look very nice together.   I grew it under a couple of conifers I had removed the lower branches from and it was always very dry there.   Once established it seemed happy  and I was always having to keep at it to keep it in check ( not hard work)  -  thought the effort was worth it mind ( to me) for the result. See you later.

28/07/2013 at 11:51

Hi Busy-Lizzie. Just a quickie. I have had the same problem with the yellow Lamium but as you said the foliage looks good. I suppose its like all those sort of plants when they get themselves into an umwanted position they are a real nuisance but in the right place out of mischief they serve a useful purpose.  I had this happen to me quite a few times with "little strangers" turning up in plants given me( shared) and eventually all offerings  got  a good combing and washing before planting -  it helped but even so a tiny scrap was missed somewhere. Oh well all part of gardenening but as you said its all work and I beleieve you have a really large plot do you not. Regards.

28/07/2013 at 12:04

Hi Tina-Tuirner. Yerse indeedy I also can think of quite a few.

28/07/2013 at 13:42

Some more seed weeds, Erinus alpinus, Viola cornuta alba, Viola corsica, Solidago, Funny that Viola cornta itself is not so bad. Lathyeus vernus seeds around a lot, but I wish L. aureus would do.

Still more seed weeds in my garden to come.

28/07/2013 at 13:58

Hi Berghill. My friend you must be very busy trying to keep that lot under control. Good luck and your comments interesting.

28/07/2013 at 14:02

Hi all. Ref that flowering lettuce I mentioned earlier on but could not remember the name. A Guinness has helped stir the remaining grey matter a little and its first name has come to me - its Mulgedium whatever. I have looked on PC and found two versions of it but these both seem to have narrow leaves - mine were distinctly lettuce like. That second part was something along the lines of bourgettii or bourgii - I will keep looking.

28/07/2013 at 17:14

Hi Berghill. I am very interested in your comments - you condemn whole families of plants for being a nuisance - plants which many of us love as I do. You are obviously a very knowledgeable and experienced gardener - also going by the names you have been mentioning very discerning. Several varieties of the same plant for instance suggest this to me and I could believe you are a botanist and have a botanists garden.  What bothers me is that if that is so how did you come to plant these "rejects" in the first place. Love to hear your comments and please do understand this is a genuine thought from  me and tendered with the greatest respect.. Goodneess knows I have made many many mistakes in my plant selection but we all live and learn as I like to think I have. Be really nice to have a natter and get your views. Best wishes.

28/07/2013 at 17:29

Planted them because I like them.....mostly. All I am doing is reporting the plants which have been over enthusiastic in their colonisation of our space.

Another one is Polemonium caruleum, seeds all over the place, Verbena bonariensis does too. And remembered the ones I meant to add, all Thalictrum except T kiusianum which I cannot get to grow.

and I do not condemn all members of a genus because some are a bit of a problem. They would not be a trouble if we got round to dead heading them as one should.

Take Alliums for example I grow dozens of species and some of them are difficult, the Californian ones especially, but they all have the potential to become a problem.

Just thought of another one, Sedum kamtschaticum, now that IS a dratted nuisance.

21 to 40 of 97 messages