London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
61 to 80 of 97 messages
29/07/2013 at 19:15

I once had Rosa rugosa in my garden and it took a long time to get rid of it once I realised how invasive it is.

I do grow Euphorbia fireglow, also Vinca, but they are in a small patch which is totally surrounded by tarmac or a wall. The Vinca tries to escape by sending tendrils round the side of the wall but even I am faster than this plant with my snippers, and have so far kept it under control.

Some of these thug plants can be quite useful if you have very poor soil and can't get anything else to take. But the absolute exception to this is that blasted Himalayan balsam. I hate that plant and go up and down the lane pulling it up in the hope that it won't get into my garden but it is creeping closer every year.

30/07/2013 at 09:50

Hi . That Himalayan Balsam sure is a total shocker - the only place I can recall seeing it growing and looking top knotch was along the banks of a river in Essex where it could get up to no mischief.    To sort of recap though amongst all of these plants we are mentioning here there is a lot of nicies - depending as we have all agreed on where you grow them and of course above all I suppose on how much we keep them under control. They will seed and spread and if we do not want this we must take the necessary action - often times easier said than done ref time and other commitments etc.    Things do get overlooked and all of us  forget things at times as i did with the Fennel last year and s'welp me I have spent months now (with many more to come no doubt) pulling them out - wow do those seeds get about.  Nature is not about control really - I feel she (Ma) adopts generally a  "let em get on with it attitude" whereas we in our gardens like to/try to control things to our way of thinking.  Nuff said because I think whatever whatever we are all having a good natter here about many plants and theres much of interest and much to be learned - newcomers to the scene in particular may find it all useful in that they get to know plants and the warning signs are here as to possible shockers. QED.

30/07/2013 at 10:05

Hi. I am down orf me soapbox  ( to many thank goodnessess and sighs of relief methinks).     Heres a few more plants which I love but they can /do get abouit a bit. Firstly the little Ajugas  -  I like to let this plant wander as much as poss and its wanderings are ( I think) done in a nice honest way since they are lightly rooted near to the soil surface and easily plucked out  -  again though it does get around.  Especially love those little dark blue flower spikes.   I have the dark green/purply leaved one and also have grown and liked the variegated green/white form.   Theres several others around now including I think gold leaved and these sort of mottled variegations (pink green white) which I cannot stand - to me (repeat me) this type of variegation always looks virused and ill  -  to each their own again.Theres another plant with similar habits thouigh not quite so exhuberant I think  -  low growing again with pretty ferny foliage and nice yellow ( Potentilla like?)  flowers. Wanders around and needed an eye kept on it for me - called waldstienia ternata. The Lamiums in variety  are similar but again as stated several times in awkwark difficult places they can fulfil a very useful role.

30/07/2013 at 10:10

I'm really wishing I hadn't planted that red valerian in the front garden, it seeds everywhere and only really looks nice in flower, the spent flowers are ugly and when you cut them down the cut stalks look awful!

30/07/2013 at 10:12

The other thug I do battle with is lemon balm, it will still be alive with cockroaches when Armageddon comes|!

30/07/2013 at 10:19

Since Keen has posted his photo I will be very brave. This is me in a typical pose!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28401.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

30/07/2013 at 10:34

Hi. I may get told off for this . Some plants now which are possibly/probably some of the most useful, are beautiful and probably the most complementary to the gardening scene.  Been around a long time but need (depending) continuous attention to keep under control and can be very invasive/untidy if neglected.  Have been part of the garden scene for many many years and are mostly much loved in spite of this attention needed. . Can be grown in several ways either well under control (Lawns)  or  in a more relaxed manner ( just Grass).  I refer to the Lawn grasses.   Call that patch of green  what you will  -  fine mowed  - occasionally mowed  or whatever they have been the backbone of so many many gardens for a long time. and I repeat what complements a nice garden of plantings/flowers better?.  They are however hard work and you. either love em or hate em.  This post is aimed at the Lawn grasses only.   All the many others have their own pros and cons - tell of your experiences with them.

30/07/2013 at 10:51

Hi all. Now three bigger ones. These are plants again I like very much but two of the three I have found can be a problem with their wandering ways.  Lysimachias all  -  first "punctata" with the stubby yellow flowers and increases very quickly -  pretty in its own way but a coarse plant I think. To a lesser extent przwalskii ( is that still its name?)  with  nice  cut largeish (Maple like?) foliage and pretty yellow flowers  -  this also likes to wander - has also the habit of wilting very badly in warmer/hot weather and no amount of water will change its mind I found  -  when it cools down its back to normal as if now't had happened.    Lastly one I grew years ago and liked very much  -  left it behind me on a move  -   have only this year bought another plant of it which is just coming into flower. Thinking of "clethroides" with the white flowers turned over  at the tops of the stems  like shepherds crooks.. I found if grown in the open its flowers open all around the top of the plant but if grown against say a fence its flowers all point just the one way away from it. Something different.  Never found myself any problems with this plant  in fact it was quite slow for me - just wanted to mention it.

30/07/2013 at 11:03

Hi Jane C.    Funny you should mention those two plants.   Firstly that Valerian  - like yourself I had terrible problems with it when I first started gardening way back and was on the scrounge everywhere for cast off/outs to fill spaces etc.  A great bundle of it came my way and I duly planted it all round the garden  -   where didn't it get to and grow  -  and try and dislodge it -  stems of iron.  Seemed to have this particular liking for getting into walls and at the bottom of them next paving etc - goodness knows what it ever found to live on.   Just as a matter of interest and totally unconnected  it was said to be Winston Churchills favourite flower.       Lemon Balm likewise which again did the same thing as you mention - everywhere and dreadful job to try and control - I did however have a plant of a variegated one and this I found did not seed/get about so badly- did love to crush and smell those leaves mind.

30/07/2013 at 11:11

Hi B-L. A good pic that and there you are hunting out all those plants - a popular thing that with us all I think - wandering around the Garden Centres - so much temptation though.  Think thee and I will award ourselves an award for daring to show our faces - what shall we call it? -  how about the  "Get us"  Medal.

30/07/2013 at 11:14

Hi B-L. Forgot to ask you.  Where was that Garden Centre.

30/07/2013 at 12:44

Hi Keen. It was in Devon, may have been Rosemoor.

I like lysimachia, it's all so easy and grows in my problem clay bed. Have clethroides, pretty but tends to wander. I also like centranthus ruber, planted one plant years ago, but it quickly decided it didn't want to be in a bed with decent earth so it moved off to cracks in the walls and stone terraces, where I like it very much.

30/07/2013 at 13:09

HI B-L.  Lovely Devon - have many happy memories of it especially around the Torquay - Newton Abbot - Teignmouth areas. Spent time there in the early 50's and went back just a few years ago - still much the same.  That red Valerian is a handsome plant I think though the white flowered one looks a bit washed out.  I am delighted to have bought that  L.clethroides again as it is one of many plants I lost one way or another on moves - necessary moves I must say -  redundancy etc. Similar habits but not to everyones taste I also like the Ligularias. Best wishes.

30/07/2013 at 17:44

No trade so I am giving it best for the day. I do however have another very old plant ( first Elizabethan period)  for you  -  great I think,  a really  potential but not  overly alarming  shocker - which might interest you if only for its  name  -  I am only giving you one of its popular ones. You may possibly know it or of it but this will give you time to Google it and know what its  all about etc.   Called Grim the Collier - will leave that with you - you can if you wish work it all out. Not just pushing you this out of a book - I grew this plant many years ago so its from memory.

30/07/2013 at 18:32

...you seem to like your orange flowers Keen...what on earth made you grow that..?   not keen on Ligularia's and Lysimachia's.. anything that likes moist soil really... these days I like the hot dry garden style...shingle beds...plus some cottage gardening.. roses, perennials and shubs..that sort of thing....although I suppose they could be included in that...

Busy-Lizzie...I thought I had seen that before.. Rosemoor..been there several times...

and very nice it is too....lovely photo....

30/07/2013 at 18:41

...as for Red Valerian...I grew that in Cornwall but chose the darker red flowered one rather than the lighter pink or white...they both look a bit washed out to me...if that was Churchill's favourite flower...well... strange..is all I can say about that...I've been to his garden at Chartwell,..and lovely house there...a gorgeous setting...

... I lived in Brixham for a while..perhaps you know that too...? fond memories of Torquay...not so much Paignton...or Teignmouth...Newton Abbot..? well they have a racecourse..and a plant centre...Bovey Tracey, nearby, is quite nice too...

bi for now...

30/07/2013 at 21:38

Grim the Collier, Hieracium aurantiacum,  dear me what a terrrible thug that is. I have never planted it but somehow it has appeared and even with liberal amounts of Verdone weedkiller, it is  as bad as Clover in the 'lawn'. The other Hieracium which can be a real seed weed is. H. maculatum, the one which looks as if someone has dripped black ink on the leaves.

A couple of fill the space rapidly plants for me are Ceratostigma plumbaginoides, but despite filling a huge space, I cannot get pieces of it to grow elsewhere and Perovskia atriplicifolia,Russian Sage. New pieces are now coming up in the lawn from the border where it is planted.

30/07/2013 at 22:18

Busy lovely to see you 

31/07/2013 at 00:07

Better looking than keen busyL

31/07/2013 at 09:12

Thanks Verdun, but then I am a woman!

61 to 80 of 97 messages