London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
5 messages
17/10/2012 at 11:15

Good morning, this is my first first post, as well as my first garden, so please excuse me if I ask some daft questions!

We have a lot of white Allysum growing in the garden, and although pretty it is now rather taking over.  I keep readng that it is a hardy annual plant, but would someone be kind and explain what this means in practice?  Should I leave some clumps in the ground so it comes back next year, or dig it all up to make room for some spring plants, sowing fresh seeds next spring?

Many thanks for your help

17/10/2012 at 11:24
Hardy annual means it will only last a year, so probably won't survive the winter, though I do seem to remember some doing so in very mild conditions. You can pull it up now if you like, or some of it. If it's stopping you planting now for next spring, I'd hoick it out.
17/10/2012 at 11:26

Hardy annuals germinate, flower, seed and die all in the same year. So, your plants won't come back next year. However, if you let them seed you may get new baby plants that survive the winter and start to grow strongly next spring. This works well if you have an informal garden; good plants to try this with are poppies.

If you want to plant things now, though, pull up your alyssum and plant away.

17/10/2012 at 11:31

By the way, other types of plants are biennials, which germinate and grow one year and flower, seed and die the next year.

There are also perennials, which live for several years. Many of these die back to nothing over winter, producing fresh growth in spring (e.g., lupins, delphiniums) whilst others keep a few leaves above ground.

17/10/2012 at 17:46

Thank you both, getting to grips with the terminology and the allysums now i hve no doubt I will be back to this forum very soon with other planty issues!

email image
5 messages