London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
7 messages
13/07/2012 at 22:04

I know the usual advice is to nip out runner beans when they reach the top of their support. Well, mine have - but the constant rain means they have grown at an alarming rate - but there are very few flowers. I'm tempted to let them just "hang down" in the hope that sunshine will eventually come and more flowers be produced. What do other people think I should do? (They're growing up a wigwam in a large barrel).

13/07/2012 at 22:09

Pinch them out-that means side shoots are produced and thus more flowers -your way you are just leaving one shoot-I don't think you will get so many flowers-I have pinched mine out they still seem to put on another 6 or so inches in height.

Alternatively pinch out alternate ones -see what happens?

14/07/2012 at 14:02

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pinch out "nearly all" to see what happens....

14/07/2012 at 18:45

If you can reach them without risking drowning in the process, pinch them out - mine are at the top of their poles too, but are otherwise vry spindly anaemic looking things - guess too much wet and all the nutrients washed out of the compost - I'd add feed but that will just get washed out too.  If the weather people give us  a suggestion of more than 20 minutes without rain I might try feeding them tomorrow afternoon - we will see. 

19/07/2012 at 10:54

Mine are not bad but all the flowers seem to be at the top with nothing further down

29/07/2012 at 21:20
Seaweed spray is very good so may be worth trying. I pinch out and pinch shoots during the season. Seaweed as a tonic ....not so much for nutrient value....maybe three times. Runner beans respond quickly to warm weather o don't give up Berkeley. Just a thought, your barrel has drainage holes?....
29/07/2012 at 21:32

The soil in my new veg patch was a bit poor as it has been supporting a large ash tree, so earlier this year I dug plenty of organic farmyard manure into it - it's also had chicken manure pellets and some dried seaweed fertiliser - our runner beans are looking very healthy, covered with flowers and lots of beans formng.  And yes, when your beans get to the top of their support pinch the growing tips out; that way they'll make lots of side shoots and produce more flowers. 

email image
7 messages