Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Shrub for a shady corner

snowy43snowy43 Posts: 118

We've cleared a corner in the garden, but it's quite shady, under a cotoneaster. It does get light and some sun, so what flowering shrub would you advise planting there to give us some colour?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

A golden leaved  Philadelphus  coronarius aurea. It has golden leaves  spring to autumn and highly scented  white flowers in Spring. Prune once a year after flowering.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Snowy , any silver grey shrub would help ,there is one with yellow daisy type flowers which I have just planted and looks good ,  also spring the white hellebour s would look good and last for ages if you wanted any underplanting

Hi Verdun,I have pinched the idea from you of the bright yellow Phormium and the white hydrangea for my  shady corner and will underplant with hostas.

Thank you so much

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Knew I could count on you Verdun image

• snowy43snowy43 Posts: 118

Thanks for your ideas. Think I'm going with a hydrangea, as they're on offer in the local garden centre!

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Look for the oak leafed hydrangeas as they have lovely white flowers shaped more like lilac flowerheads than the traditional round mop heads and they are happy in shade and when the leaves die back they have lovely autumnal colours..

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

My oak leaf ones have mop heads not the paniculata, candle type heads. There's quite  a few varieties image

Just make sure it's not too dry underfoot if it's getting quite a bit of sun, snowy image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...