Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

shrub I.D.

Hello to anyone reading this, My neighbour has a large deciduous shrub growing behind my garden, its about 5-6 metres tall at present and doesnt have autumn colour. It looks sort of like an ash tree with pinnate leaves but different bark, it only grows to about 6-8 metres high and I think it suckers, or it may produce stems from low down. Im guessing it is a non native ornamental shrub. I know for sure it isnt Sorbaria/sumach/laburnum/elder/rowan/regular tree-ash or spindle as I grow all of those myself. I cant seem to find its I.D. anywhere. I want to know the name of it before I go and ask them if I can cut it back as its shading out the back part of my garden where I want to grow a victoria plum. 

Anyone who can help much appreciated.(I have tried internet browsing but cant locate it.)

Dean Alex.

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

A picture would be helpful Dean Alex.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Dean a photo would help us ID it.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

can you get a pic before the leaves have all gone?

Most of the thoughts I had you have eliminated already

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Its hard to take a photo as its a mountain of green and 6 metres away from my fence and its just got dark,It hasnt started to lose its leaves atall yet they are dark green. I shall try tomorrow image if anyone has any ideas to throw at me I can google them and see.

Many thanks Dean.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

If its 6 metres from your fence, You have no right to cut it bck. I thought it was overhanging your fence. You have no right to light over a neighbours property.

I wouldn't have thought at that height and distance there was much of a light problem

• Im only going to ask them if I can prune it, the only choice I have is the shrub is pruned or the giant ash tree above it is pruned and that would cost £100s! The shrub is part of an understory of shrubs which grow under massive ash trees, together they cause us to lose the sun for over half the day and it stops me growing lots of plants I like. My other neighbour got there full permission to cut back some lilacs and privet on the other side, they arnt keen gardeners and all the trees/shrubs are overgrown and old. We also desperately need a tree surgeon to come and cut back an enormous ash tree of theres that keeps dropping huge branchs into our garden, its overhanging my dads new shed and he is anxious about it crushing the roof if the huge branches fall.

• Could it be Ailanthus? They have pinnate leaves, grow into trees and sucker. I believe they are quite vigurous.

• Hello Mr Raspberry, I looked up Ailanthus or tree of heaven and it doesnt look the same but thanks for the suggestion, I did come across a photo of a box elder which looks very very similar, I wonder if anyone here has that plant and could help me?

Dean Alex.

Box elder, Acer negundo, is a smallish tree but if it was coppiced it might present as a multi-stemmed shrub