Start a new thread

1 to 18 of 18 replies

Plants

Shrub ID

This has been growing in our hawthorn hedge and this year decided to be 12ft tall with read berries. I thought it migh be a pyracantha but not sure which one as there are no thorns.

Jump to latest post

1 to 18 of 18 replies

Gardenmaiden

Picture quality slightly blurred but hope its ok.

Hostafan1

cotoneaster cornubia perhaps?

Hostafan1

bit blurred, but it looks like one of the bigger cotoneasters, maybe hybridus pendulus.

Gardenmaiden

Thanks Hosta, I'll check my books. I'm keeping it so the viburnum next to it will be getting a haircut as its also crowding out a purple azalea.

Tootles

It looks lovely. I like the rich looking berries.

Advertisement

Gardenmaiden

They are great. So far no birds have eaten them.

nutcutlet

The birds  will eat them Gm, they usually clear mine just before Christmas when I've had my eye on them to bring indoors

But I prefer to have the birds

Gardenmaiden

There seem to be a few shrubs growing in the hawthorn hedge. So far I have found a laurel, orange pyracantha and a wild clematis.

treehugger80

some of them (like the cotoneaster and Pyracantha) have probably been 'deposited as seeds' by birds in the hedge.

nutcutlet

My favourite type of hedge

Bookertoo

You may get your cotoneaster berries indoors this year, as it has been so warm the birds are not particularly hungry yet.  Very few of my, usually by now stripped, shrubs have had any berries taken - and those that have I suspect squirrels rather than birds.  

nutcutlet

That would be good Bookertoo. I always build a 'tree' with things from the garden at Christmas. Some red berries would be great. The holly has already been stripped, it didn't take long, there weren't many.

Bookertoo

Let's hope so - though probably over this weekend all the birds will do their Christmas shopping & leave us with no indoor berries!!

gardenning granny

Who said the birds weren't hungry? With an exceptional show of purple berries on my callicarpa this year, first one blackcap and then all his friends and relatives moved in to strip it inside a week.

My laurel hedge produces berries like those in the picture - the birds obviously drop them all over the place because I have baby laurels all over the garden in the spring.  Makes me think that could have happened to produce one in your hedge.

Advertisement

David Matthews2

How nice it is that we have so many willing 'assistant' gardeners that grant use free seedlings, either or growing on in more favoured locations, or being left to grow within a diverse hedgeline??? "Good on them", I say. I'm quite willing to share the annual berry feast with them (& their continental cousins)!!

KirstyB2

Do other people's cotoneasters have berries one year and fewer the next? Last year mine was laden with berries, hardly any this year despite the good weather. The holly has done much better and the blackbirds have now cleared that of berries.

Gardenmaiden

I've had a female blackcap devouring my grapes, along with the blackbirds and robin.