London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
21 to 40 of 41 messages
10/03/2013 at 20:43

Wot a good idea geoff.

I love the way we all mix our metric and imperial. I can still eyeball heights in feet and inches but not in metric things.

I shall search for a pic of Hidcote

10/03/2013 at 20:44
10/03/2013 at 20:48

Good thinking batman-

-if that is it-then you can hack it back happily

Dont do cms either

10/03/2013 at 22:24
Well that does look exactly like it I'm sure well done nutcutlet what do I do then with it
10/03/2013 at 22:52

If it's well established I'd leave it alone. They're not hard to find and not expensive shrubs. You could get another one or something different.

If it's quite young, has more than one stem from below the ground and can be dug up without serious damge to the roots you could try sawing through the middle. I have done this with success but I haven't tried it with hypericum. You need a good saw but you won't have such a good saw after the job. 

11/03/2013 at 09:10

That is the one I have and it tolerates hacking back, I will be doing mine once the SNOW stops.

11/03/2013 at 09:31

On another thread...

Gary Hobson wrote (see)

Rose of Sharon...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/rose-of-sharon.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/roseofsharon.jpg

These plants can get big. But are very easily controlled, simply by hacking back as much as you like.

As you can see, the bees love them.

A very easy way to propagate is just to look for little seedlings, which can often be found near the plant.

11/03/2013 at 10:39
I cut hypericum hidcote back very hard....to the ground....every year. I do it in autumn. I treat it just as I would a hardy fuschia. It is a bush that can get rust on old leaves. Pruning hard back prevents this apparently although I have never had this problem. It always regrow to about 5 feet. I have a Baptisia Australis next to it and the vertical blues look good besides the rounded yellow hypericum flowers. (if you haven't grown Baptisia and you have hot dry spot then try it)
11/03/2013 at 10:50

I have attacked my hypericum at all times of year - I reckon it's indestructible!  It grows so fast and after leaving it to its own devices for a few years it swamped everything around it and drastic treatment was needed.  It grew back in no time and there are always plenty of little seedlings you can just pull up and replant.    

11/03/2013 at 10:55

Verdun, I have a hot dry area in the strip I cultivate just outside my fence, facing south west, next to the pavement; it is a nuisance to water, so this Baptisia Australis sounds good for next to the hypericum. Would it survive the winters in the Fens? The Hibiscus is ok out there.

11/03/2013 at 10:58

Also, Verdun, does it actually flower at the same time as hypericon?

11/03/2013 at 11:25
Artjak, check out Baptisia..worth a try but it is fully hardy here. Very perceptive.....Baptisia and Hypericum dont flower together all summer but they do match up for a few weeks in late June, maybe July. I have a blue geranium on other side of hypericum so the blue /yellow theme is continued. Also a blue delphinium behind. I know it's bit corny but I like blue and yellow together sometimes
11/03/2013 at 12:27

I love that combination; a lot of the bed I described above has ended up purple and yellow as I tended to buy cheap stuff for there. I would like to introduce more blue. I'm not sure a geranium would survive the drought conditions out there, but I could dig out a clump from elsewhere and try it

11/03/2013 at 12:45
How about perovskia? Caryopteris? Ceratostigma? Linum Perenne ...blue diamond I think.... is a beauty too if you have hot dry situation.....30cm high beautiful bright blue summer long? Salvia Patens? A lovely blue penstemon called Joyce Grenfell, I think that's right, would grow in dry conditions......??
11/03/2013 at 16:21

I have got the Linum Pernne; flax elsewhere and it certainly does toerate dry conditions. I love that blue, a plant that is really worth having.

11/03/2013 at 18:44
Artjak, again a bit"corny" but I grew blue flax alongside a lovely mound of yellow osteospermum and In front of a dwarf purple berberis on my front drive and it was a picture for months. Apart from the osteospermum, which is very tender, they are still in place to repeat this summer
11/03/2013 at 19:25

Sounds lovely

11/03/2013 at 21:09

This stuff is not hard to grow at all you can do it from seed sold at the garden centre, if you like it you might also quite like Mallow which is super easy from seed 

12/03/2013 at 09:39

Aaaargh! Mallow is pink

12/03/2013 at 17:44
Yep seed is good and cheap. All the plants I earlier mentioned are propagated by cuttings....just as cheap, well cheaper, but will produce flowering plants more quickly. Here in Cornwall mallow sprouts everywhere quite naturally so we tend to take it for granted a bit
21 to 40 of 41 messages