London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
9 messages
25/04/2014 at 18:41

Hi All

I have a few shrubs that have lived in containers for several years in my previous 'courtyard' garden that was all containers. 

I have a large Skimmia, a fairly small Acer, a small Pieris, and a medium sized Cotinus.

I've recently moved to a house with a 'proper' garden, and I now want to get them in the ground.

Can anyone advise if this is the right time to do this, or if it's best to wait until the plants are dormant.  I've had them all for years and would be devastated if I lost them now.

Thanks in advance - Steph.

25/04/2014 at 18:44

As long as you tease out the roots a bit and keep them watered the growing season is good for establishing plants. I think they'd be grateful for the release

25/04/2014 at 22:03

The advantage of container grown subjects is.  Provided the ground conditions are right.  Not frozen etc. Then basically dig the hole, soak it then also give the container a drink.  Then plant.  Firm in and water.  You may notice a slight setback for a day or two.  Don't worry.

25/04/2014 at 22:14

Check the ph of your soil - I don't know what area you are in. You might need to add some ericaeous compost/mulch around your plants  which like an acid soil.

25/04/2014 at 22:32

Just going to make the point Daintiness made.  Especially the pieris needs acid soil.  If its not acid keep the pieris in a pot.

Thoss plants will safely be planted now.  Just keep them well watered this summer

25/04/2014 at 22:46

Thanks so much all. Much appreciated.

There's a Pieris already well established in the garden - plus rhododendrons and a camellia so I'm hoping it will be OK.  It is on the other side of the garden (only a few meters away) so should I test to be sure?

Also, where I'm planning to plant is very shady.  I'm hoping this will be OK for these plants, though I have read the Continus needs sun.  Is this correct?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks again - Steph

25/04/2014 at 22:54

You should be fine if there are already acid loving plants growing well. You have done your research on positioning - they should enjoy the freedom of the soil.

25/04/2014 at 22:59

The cotinus might be better in sun but see how it gets on.

Choisya are said to like sun but do better in the shade for me. Maybe Cotinus will do the same

25/04/2014 at 23:04

Thanks all. 

I'm excited now to plant them out.  I'll be out in the rain this weekend I think!

Thanks again - Steph

email image
9 messages