London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
5 messages
17/08/2012 at 12:57
Astilbes, astrantias, acteas, agastaches......all the "a's" I realise....... Seem not to be damaged by slugs or snails. I find eryngiums too to be resistant as well as liriopes & libertias. What plants do others feel are resistant to these pests? Jap anemones spring to mind too
17/08/2012 at 13:45

Not Agastaches & even the Aceas this year in my garden, sorry. The latter are still reasonable, but look worse for wear.

Yes all these fine for me- Japanese anemones, Eryngiums, Euphorbias, hardy geraniums, Agapanthus, Erysmums, Alliums, some campanulas, Crocosmias, Penstemons, Antirrhinums, Fuschias, Veronicastrums, Verbena Bonariensis, Scabious, Calendulas, Phlox, Sidalcea, Violas, Sedums, Schizostylis, Day lily, Roses, Chelone (Turtlehead), Chocolate Cosmos, Heucheras, Dicentras, Thalictrums, Clematis, Ornamental Poppies, Mecanopsis, Lily of the valley.

The Rudbekias are just about hanging on, but not a single dahlia has survived, nor the Morning Glory & Black eyed susan.

Abandoned the sweetpeas & runnerbeans & salad crops- ha, forget it, but courgettes are fine, unlike last couple of years!

By growing my Cosmos this year in big pots I've not lost as many & at least have a reasonable show of flowers this year. Bedding- mixed colour Lobelia & Nastursiums are also untouched.

Oh well, have already got ideas for next year & need to source new Dahlias tubers. J.

17/08/2012 at 17:14
Jo4eyes, that's interesting. You grow many plants I grow too. Violas/pansies are loved by keel slugs with me and crocosmias attract snails when they have finished flowering. I agree with many that are on your list though. When you source your dahlias try dahlia honka, it's an unusual one with spidery-like petals, simple and single and admired by everyone. Copper rings seem very effective against slugs too....tried it with an old fashioned violet. my cosmos do not get attacked even though I grow large groups of them
17/08/2012 at 17:33

I've seen Honka. One to consider.

I grow my choice dahlias in large pots on the patio & despite copper tape or rings, or both in desparation this year, they've all been well chewed. I doubt the tubers will be up to bother storing this year.

I do know about snails & crocosmia, but never had such a bad yr recently.         My Hostas are all grown in pots too. From the house they still look good, but paper doilie springs to mind when you get closer. Again, copper tape & grit on top of pots & snail patrols all needed.

I do reluctantly use organic slug pellets, usually around trays of newly germinated seedlings in the coldframes, but would prefer the visiting hedgehog to do his bit so tend not to scatter around other things. Have had to do a 2cnd sowing of some things already this week. Am also thinking about using nematodes again next year on the beds as it's so disheartening to see all work wasted & destroyed overnight.

Will certainly do the cosmos in large pots again. Yes, some losses, but at least have a decent show this year & they're easier to reach to deadhead. 1 solitary survivor in the beds- interestingly in a new bed excavated last autumn from the lawn. J.

17/08/2012 at 18:22
Nematodes do work....at least for last year when I used them. My night time efforts with salt and bucket are very effective as I don't really use too many pellets. My hostas are fine...in the ground and in pots...but I think the danger time is when the flowers are going over and soft so I cut stems out asp and this seems to work well. I haven't really lost anything because of slugs etc despite warm wet summer. Birds, toads, hedgehogs plus my night time efforts have combined to achieve this
email image
5 messages