London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
3 messages
19/07/2013 at 14:40

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for some small plants which I could use around the external base of my raised pallet frame vegetable gardens? Something decorative would be nice. But they would need to be small enough to not get in the way of gardening in the raised beds themselves.

I currently have a layer of bark on the ground, and the soil under the bark is a little clay like.

We live in Bergen in Norway, so it would need to be something that could overwinter some cold temperatures (down to -10c in winter).

Thank you for any advice!

Anna

20/07/2013 at 00:03

Maybe some mimulus. They have lots of pretty flowers over a long period and encourage bees to the area. I live in a place that has long, wet, cold winters ( not as cold as Bergen maybe but pretty bad) and they come theough every year. They like wet ground so your clay should be good. Chives are nice too with purple flowers.

20/07/2013 at 10:19

Maybe saxifraga x urbium (london pride)? It's incredibly tough, spreading though not invasive, small without being insignificant, doesn't mind being trodden on a bit, easy to split and dot around so you don't have to lay out a fortune buying a gazillion plants, and evergreen to boot.

Or just whack in a load of the smallest non-climbing nasturtium seeds u can find. I've got some this year (dunno what tho - helpful!) that are only about a foot up and out. Excellent in the veg garden as loads of critters would rather eat a nasturtium, meaning they leave your crops alone. If you let the seeds fall naturally you'll only have to buy them once. I've had seeds survive quite happily on the soil surface down to -17c. And it was boggy ground so I fully expected them to rot and vanish. Little treasures!

Would have suggested lavenders, but not if its both heavy soil and very cold... that said, u could inprove the drainage as they're not a plant that needs an enormous root-run...

Bx

email image
3 messages