London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
11 messages
02/12/2012 at 20:51

I grew loads of snapdragons from seed this year and they have been one of the star performers of my garden, the bumble bees loved them.

I know that most people grow them as annuals but on the packet they are described as half hardy perennials. There has been a few frosts here already but they haven't died and some are still flowering.The others are still looking really green and bushy

Should I cut them down or leave them to their own devices?

On a similar note- the Bowels Mauve wall flowers are still in  flower, should I cut the flower stems off?

Thanks

02/12/2012 at 20:59

snapdragons will come through if they're in very well drained soil, even better in a wall. But you'll get lots of seedlings next year as long as you haven't dead-headed too seriously.

Bowles Mauve also likes it dry, should be OK, usually comes through for me. I'd leave  the flowers to enjoy. Might be some left for the new year. We always do a flower count on new years day. Bowles mauve has been on the list occasionally.

02/12/2012 at 21:24

Thanks nutcutlet, I did dead head a lot throughout the Summer(?) to encourage further flowers but have left them alone for a good couple of months in the hope that they will self seed. I think the soil is fairly free draining, they are in newly made walled beds.I'm wondering if this year's plants will make it through to next year, will just have to wait and see. I'm sure I will sow more just  to be on the safe side

I'll leave the Bowles Mauve alone, flower count on new years day sounds like a great idea

02/12/2012 at 21:42

The new years day flower count is a great tradition here. Very strict rules. To be counted the flower has to be open enough to see the inside parts, and not frozen and brown. Flowers in pots outside can be counted, nothing in the greenhouse. Scores have varied between 2 &  50-60 different flowers.

08/12/2012 at 16:04

hi nutcutlet, think I will  join in on the new years day flower count,

08/12/2012 at 16:23

What a good idea. Had a look round today to identify likely contenders. Pulmonaria rubra usually makes it. The native hellebores are always close but rarely quite get there. Have hopes for Cyclamen coum. At the moment Cyclamen hederifolium is still flowering. Could it make it to NY'sD?

08/12/2012 at 16:32

we are allowed to count what some would class as weeds.

08/12/2012 at 16:43

I have a few Cyclamen, though not sure what type. Had some flowers a few weeks ago but all leaves now.

I think my snapdragons might make it and some wallflowers, touch and ago with the Rudebekias, some of gone with the frost but some are still alive

08/12/2012 at 16:49

I don't like the short daylight hours but apart from that I love watching it all happening through the winter. Some things have been unbelievably late so might still be in flower.  We need no really hard frosts or heavy snow between now and then for a good count.

08/12/2012 at 17:23

I know what you mean about the lack of day light but I do enjoy the changing of the seasons. Looking forward to New Years Day

08/12/2012 at 19:27

My avatar is an Erysiumum taken last week after the frosts, it's still going!  Best £3.50 sale plant buy this year.

Noticed though that my dwarf snapdragon flowers have all secumbed to the recent frost. The older, taller variety ones are still going!

Like the idea of a NY flower count. J.

email image
11 messages