London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
16/12/2013 at 17:30

does anyone know of anywhere that I can buy SNOWDROP plants or bulbs ?

16/12/2013 at 17:35

You'll find them on sale around March time after they've finished flowering - they don't grow well as dried bulbs so the usual practice is to buy them 'in the green'.  

There'll be loads of sellers in the small ads in the back of Gardeners World magazine.  

Just make sure you buy guaranteed English grown ones as some unscrupulous people dig up wild ones abroad and sell them.  

Lots of different varieties available so now is the time of year to do some googling to see which ones you want to buy. 

You might find some in little pots in garden centres in January, but it's an expensive way to buy them.

16/12/2013 at 17:37

There are some bulbs half price in the garden centres now, but they are dried out and probably won't do very well.

16/12/2013 at 17:44

My snowdrops are peeking through the soil already 

16/12/2013 at 18:47

Have a go I purchased x6 packs from my local garden centre last week. However I also bought a load in the green last year ( for those of you who know me yes from ebay) and they are peeking through again nicely!

16/12/2013 at 19:12

In the case of snowdrop bulbs I think it must depend on how long they are out of the ground.  Some years ago I dug up a very dry clump (the bulbs had no roots or shoots showing) in late summer and immediately replanted handfuls of them in other areas of the garden.  They all flowered the next spring, so I expect the bad reputation comes from buying loose bulbs which have been in storage for some weeks or months.

16/12/2013 at 20:39

Bob, thats what I usually do. Every year I can guarantee I will stick a fork through a clump after it has died down. I shove a few back in that spot, and spread the others around the garden, just pushing them into empty spots. I don't let them dry out. From a few dozen that were here when I came, I've now got thousands.

16/12/2013 at 21:18

A galanthophile told me that summer is good for moving them. But keeping them out of the ground is never good

16/12/2013 at 21:26

So best to google to find suppliers then folks.

we seem to be going off on a different tangent

16/12/2013 at 21:37

Nick, Do you want them to flower spring 2014 or is this a long term project? How many do you want? How big an area do you want to cover?

16/12/2013 at 21:50

Yes, it's your choice which company you get them from Nick. Come February time there'll be plenty of choice. 

I love a good tangent

Unless you have lots of money and a collecting nature you should avoid all those named varieties that appear on ebay for lots of money. For a good patch of white you want single snowdrops, Galanthus nivalis. They seed and make new buls. The bulbs multiply as well and you can split them up and a new clump will form.

They come in doubles as well, that's Galanthus nivali which are quite pretty, clump up well but don't set seed and are probably no good for any early bees

I can't remember where mine came from.

google 'snowdrops in the green' 

16/12/2013 at 21:52

Thanks fidgetbones, would love them to flower in spring 2014 and would love to spread them around abit in the back and front gardens

16/12/2013 at 21:58

Thanks nut cutlet do they flower in the spring

16/12/2013 at 22:14

If you grow bulbs you could try putting a handful in a small pot to bring them on and then plant out the clumps that succeed. Make sure to keep moist and as they come up give them some weak liquid feed to boost the growth and which will then find it's way into stronger bulbs for next year. But still best to buy them in the green, when they invariably succeed.

16/12/2013 at 22:18

They'll be over when you buy them in the green but you'll have a fantastic display the next year. You get so many more for your money buying them like that. 

You could buy a few already planted in pots for 2014 spring but buying and planting dry bulbs now would be a waste of time and money.  

16/12/2013 at 22:27

Ok thanks for that I'll check some garden centres or the internet for already planted ones

21/12/2013 at 16:17

Although the recognised time to transplant from the ground is after flowering I find if necessary they will transplant anytime in the green, even when flowering if you get a decent fork full.

If you can find them you can move them when they are dormant too - there is nothing wrong moving them dry from ground to ground, it's just that they hate hanging around in dry packs at the garden centre.

I think Nick should speak nicely to a gardening friend.

21/12/2013 at 16:50

I move mine any old time. I have to. I can never remember where anything is if I can't see it so I'm always digging them up.

I  split up a few clumps every year. I always intend to do more but it takes a very long time to split and replant a big clump.

21/12/2013 at 17:43

I agree with Nut's earlier comment to avoid the expensive varieties… they spend most of the year underground and the stress of looking after them is too, too much. Always frightened that I am going to dig them up. If you disturb the odd nivalis it's not the end of the world.

22/12/2013 at 14:54

Hi folks 

found these at our local garden centre, when would it be best to plant them out as you can see from the pic there current situation 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35273.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

1 to 20 of 26 messages