20 messages
24/01/2013 at 16:10
I'm just reading my gardeners world (Feb) that arrived this morning and am reading the piece by James Alexander-Sinclair. He talks about everybody knowing that snowdrops, all varieties, have to be planted in the green........ New gardener alert - I don't know what he means, does he mean in the lawn or other grassy area??? Thankyou x
24/01/2013 at 16:16

Snowdrops don't like being dried off, they're sold after flowering with the leaves on. It's the best time to split and replant if you've already got some.

24/01/2013 at 16:16

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sorry -it means when planting you plant them as bulbs with leaves attached after they have flowered -you will see them as advertised as "in the green" from February onwards

They do better than dried bulbs panted in September

24/01/2013 at 16:24

But the best way to move them is to plant newly dug DORMANT bulbs. They are much harder to get though, so in the green is the next best thing.

24/01/2013 at 16:25
Ah I see!! OMG can't believe I thought to plant in grass - sorry!! Thankyou for the advice tho - I planted some dry bulbs in pots in sept/October - they are coming up as I can see the green tops coming through the gravel - will they be ok?
24/01/2013 at 16:31

Lucy we all started somewhere and have made many mistakes

If you can see the shoots-then yes they will be ok

24/01/2013 at 17:17

There is an offer in the GW for snowdrops in the green - page 41

If you order them they will come with leaves on . Plant them as they are - do not remove the leaves - and plant them to the soil depth you will see on the foliage.

24/01/2013 at 18:52

I always divide snowdrops just as the flowers have gon and the leaves are still green. Keep them well watered until they settle in - SUCCESS.

Lyn
24/01/2013 at 19:20
Those snowdrops in the gw offer are very expensive at 4.30 for 25. That would be 17.20 per 100.
There is an offer at the back of the book 9.50 per 100. And the doubles 15.50 per 100 + 3.50 post.
Try shopping around.
I watched the nations favourite flowers some time ago where the expert says don't dig them up in the green but wait until they die off.always conflicting advice!
24/01/2013 at 19:26

Yes don't buy from GW - our local greengrocer does a huge bunch for £1.00 ( however can't vouch for quality cos I've not bought them from him ) so do shop around!

24/01/2013 at 19:58

I bought some a few years back from the chucky-out bin at the garden centre.  They were sold in small pots, about 5 bulbs to a pot, and sold off once the flowers had finished for 10p a pot.  I had 5 pots and spaced them out in a shady flower bed - they soon multiply if they like your garden, and then you can split them every two or three years until you have them everywhere that you want them.

My main problem is digging them up inadvertently when gardening later in the year.  I keep them (and all the other bulbs that get dug up) in the shed until November/December when I sort them by shape and pot them up in my unheated greenhouse.  As soon as they come in to flower I place them where the gaps are in the garden, either transplanting there and then or sinking the pot into the ground.

24/01/2013 at 20:55

I have written this before I am certain. This type of bulb developed the bulbous storage organ to escape from the shadow cast by deciduous trees. They did not need to protect themsleves from drying out, so they never developed a coat for protection. Narcissus and Tulips became bulbs to avoid Summer drought, so they have protecting skins. Bulbs without skins hate drying out, those with them do not mind.

Lyn
29/01/2013 at 15:45

Just to add to what I wrote earlier, I see that the RHS are recommending that you plant/move at the end of spring, when the foliage has started to die back.

29/01/2013 at 15:57

Not letting them dry out is the most important thing. I split and shift when I have the time. I'd be much more careful if I'd spent ££££ on a single bulb though.

29/01/2013 at 15:59

When you plant them don't forget to leave the foliage on until it completely dies off.  I have had a lot of success as the bulbs originated from my Grannie's garden and I am in my sixties !!!!  I have heads showing on my snowdrops today - I am SO happy !!

30/01/2013 at 05:29

last year my employers wanted me to move snowdrops from a woody hillock to a large area under 3 beech trees every morning until the snow drops disapeard from view i dug and transplanted them .I cant imagine how many i moved hundreds!!!yesterday i had a look to see if any had taken and yiphee little heads showing

30/01/2013 at 09:04

The moles move ours around the Wood, all year round. They still grow (the Snowdrops not the mole) even though they are lying on the surface in places waiting for the trees to drop leaves on them.

30/01/2013 at 10:03
My snowdrops in a pot next to my back door have been flowering since boxing day. Not sure why. Have been quite abused really. Pot knocked over by teenagers on a regular basis! Perhaps they have a magic touch.
30/01/2013 at 18:03

well, i have my snowdrops in the grass and they still come up every year. i make sure i cut the grass low before winter and the snowdrops flower and disappear before i cut the grass in spring. i just checked today and they are ready to burst into flower and my iris reticulatas are also unfurling their dark blue flowers. cant wait for the next few weeks. so much to look forward to. roll on spring.

30/01/2013 at 21:26

dont ya just love emm

email image
20 messages