Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Snowdrops

WhippetWhippet Posts: 145

I have masses of Snowdrops that are wonderful when in full flower but now they are fading fast and I'd like to plant other things in the bed. Problem is, the Snowdrop leaves cover so much ground but I am unsure whether it's correct to chop them off or to let them all die away naturally. That will take ages so what is best to do given that I want to have other plants as the seasons progress? Someone told me to tie the leaves into little knots..is that a good idea?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    It's certainly in the snowdrop's best interests to let the leaves die down naturally as this feeds the bulb for next year's display. Tying them in knots inhibits this process.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I second that. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I always give mine a feed of pelleted chicken or cow manure as the flowers go over.  It's also the best time to lift and divide the clumps to make more of a spring show for next year.

It doesn't take long for their foliage to die down and you can't expect them to make energy for next year's flwoers if you remove or knot the foliage.  The leaves are a plant's food factory.

You can plant right up next to them and that will disguise the foliage whilst still leaving it to do its job.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • WhippetWhippet Posts: 145

Thankyou for your advice. I will do as you suggest and plant between them. I will also remove some because the whole bed is FULL of them. I took some out last year and moved to the 'front' garden which has also looked very pretty during the colder weather. Just have so many!......friends and neighbours will be pressed to take some image

• You are a very,very, very lucky bunny to have so many.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Whippet - you haven't put the area where you live on your details - shame, we could all come and queue up image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WhippetWhippet Posts: 145
    Woodgreen wonderboy wrote (see)

You are a very,very, very lucky bunny to have so many.

Indeed image They are in a north facing bed, never have a glimmer of sunshine and have filled the place.

Dovefromabove..I'm in south Lincs image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Not far away Whippet, I'm in N Cambs. I'm not short of snowdrops though and it's too late to admire the display

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    Whippet wrote (see)

Dovefromabove..I'm in south Lincs image

So are my in-laws image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Dee 3Dee 3 Posts: 9
    I also leave mine to die down naturally, however now is a good time to lift and divide whilst they are in the "green".Would love to queue up for some freebies but I live in South Wales!!! They'd be dead by the time I got them home!