Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
11 messages
17/09/2013 at 20:23

... and i have the following bulbs to plant:

• crocus tricolor (x20)
  • crocus ruby giant (x75)
  • wood anemone blanda mixed (x50)
  • daffodils - hawera (x10), king alfred (x30)
  • muscari (grape hyacinth) (x50)
  • Chionodoxa luciliae (x5)
  • Iris gordon reticulata (x25)
  • Iris danfordiae (x20)

hesitating a little on where to put them and how to mix them up. i have the following area to plant them in:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlvd7ztsiroz7hk/IMAG1123.jpg

any suggestions? i also have a front lawn (a rather sad-for-itself patch of grass, which i want to transform a little), a magnolia tree with a bed of slate chips under out front (sorry, forgot to take pic before it got dark) which i thought of putting some bulbs under.

what else is anyone planting up for the coming spring?

17/09/2013 at 21:01

don't mix them up too much djjjuk. they won't all flower at the same time and might look a bit thin. 

King A are big ones, i'd put those at the end of the garden with Harwera closer so you can see them from the house.

Anemone blanda and muscari are spreaders so put them where that will be an advantage.

Due to early winter and late buying I didn't get most of mine into the ground last year, they looked OK in their pots though. Then I needed the pots so the bulbs are hanging in string bags in the shed and it's time to plant them again. Must get to it

17/09/2013 at 21:44

I have so much to plant :S

Hyacinths, Crocus, Iris, Daffs, Tulips, Anemones, Alliums, Zantedeschias, Sparaxis, Fritillarias.

I think thats it :P

I have plenty of garden to plant in but the problem is that my a lot of my Summer plants still look great!

I'll have to try planting around them o_o

17/09/2013 at 21:51

I hate dismantling a good garden to get the bulbs in.

Though my garden is less that good this year. Must do better next

17/09/2013 at 22:02

The irises like it hot, sunny and very free draining soil. They are also very short. I would mix both together, plant them near the wall of the house somewhere that you can see them. They will be the first of your bulbs to flower.

17/09/2013 at 23:41

No, would not mix bulbs up.  Best in groups on their own.  If mixed the  effect will be "bitty" and odd.  ESP with daffs.  An acquaintance bought a bag of mixed daffs and planted them accordingly. ,they looked awful and they,look worse every year as the mixed clumps jostle to enlarge.  small daffs "bullied" by their larger cousins;  a little daff hardly seen amongst bigger ones.  No sense to me

I plant some bulbs in the garden and others in pots to place "perfectly" in the spring.

18/09/2013 at 08:18

I do the same Verd. Are we control freaks do you think!  Big pots jampacked with one variety of bulb and grouped with other appropriate bulbs or plants gives great impact- especially at an entrance or on a patio or terrace. Putting some extra bulbs in pots is a good tactic because they can be popped in where there's a gap in a border and up here on my clay soil I only ever plant tulips in pots now to give them the drainage they need.

18/09/2013 at 09:57

7 years ago when we moved to Tiverton, my husband presented me with a sack of over 300 daffodil bulbs. Lovely bulbs, big, fat and firm. My elderly neighbour even wanted some! So I gave him a hand full. They come up less year after year. Being tall they fall over, and the slugs have a field day, or I am out with sticks trying to stake them in gale force winds. From now on it is small tete a tetes for me. No staking, no falling over. I have a bag of 50 to put into pots.

18/09/2013 at 12:13
18/09/2013 at 12:42

Where is everyone ordering their bulbs from this year?

18/09/2013 at 13:44

I'm just getting mine locally LF - B&Q, Morrisons, GC and nursery although I did find a site called The Bulb Shop which is very tempting!

email image
11 messages