London (change)
Mon 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
4 messages
02/06/2012 at 16:14

I have a beautiful solanum which is 3 years old. This is my 2nd (left the last one behind when I moved). Every summer I snip off the spent flowers to discourage berry growth and to encourage more flowers...Is this the right thing to do though? There doesn't seem to be much info about these amazing plants and I'm not sure that I should be snipping away. Does anyone else have any experience?

02/06/2012 at 17:06

I've never deadheaded mine, as I only usually do that to my annuals, and this is a shrub really. I hope someone else has a better explanation for you.

02/06/2012 at 21:53

According to my bible the R H S encyclopedia you should just give it a light trim in spring if needed it doesn't mention deadheading. I had a beauty until the bad winter the year before last seen it off ! Never deadheaded it and it flowered like a gud un Just gave it a good feed of blood fish and bone early spring . Is it in a suunny spot ?

02/06/2012 at 22:04
Yes -well as sunny as it can be in our garden. It is about 7 ft wide and 10ft tall. Amazing plant. As its so tall deadheading would be quite tricky so i'm glad to hear that it will continue to flower even if berries are growing on it! Thanks for the advice!
email image
4 messages