Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

something I don't think I planted

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Does anyone recognise this? The leaves are very soft, furry and almost sticky to touch. A rather pungent smell but not strong. Could be from bird seed but could be from anywhere.

At first glance I thought nicotiana but it's too stiff in stalk and has opposite leaves

.image

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

no idea, sorry.

Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

image What're you asking us for?!?!?!??

Is this a test?

Look like some sort of big long poinsettia leaves to me but what would I know. image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I have phlox and monarda with leaves that look like that, but the phlox doesn't smell and I'm sure you would know if it was either of those. Maybe wait for a flower?

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Looks willowherby to me - possibly hoary willowherb?
    We generally rely on you to when it comes to weird stuff popping up in the garden ;)

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

yeah, sorry folks. I have no idea. I've got it on a Facebook group as well and it's been shared to another. Trouble is, its most distinctive features are feel and smell, neither of which I can get across on t'interweb.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Have a look at Salvia hispanica  and see what you think   ... chia seeds, sometimes in birdseed. 

http://www.chia-zaden.be/salvia-hispanica/wikipedia/index.php 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks Dove, I've looked at the photos and I don't think it's that. image

It was a bit of a long shot ... 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Dovefromabove says:

It was a bit of a long shot ... 

See original post

All suggestions gratefully received and checked out Dove.

Nothing from any of my other lines of enquiry except Guizotia (nyger) which it doesn't look like to me from pics. I've never had it germinate in the past

You'll have to wait and see if it flowers image