Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Something to plant now for the kid

Hi, basically my 4 year old daughter has all of a sudden become interested in flowers and things growing in and around our garden.

She would like something that she can start from a seed and watch it grow.

Sunflowers were the obvious choice but i think its the wrong time of year for that.

Can anyone recommend anything else for her? Bear in mind it would have to stay in pots as my garden is all concrete.

Ta.

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

Nastursiums could work.  They are quick growing and I've noticed some self seeded ones just germinating in my garden

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Some Spring flowering bulbs might be nice, if she can wait that long to see the flowers. Daffs. can be planted  now.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Autumn flowering crocus bulbs are in the garden centres now - you could plant one of those and have flowers in a few weeks image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• try growing Acorns or hazel nuts ,my kids grew hundreds and the squirrel plants a lot too! there easy and fun. I still have the one my daughter grew 30 years ago and my neighbour too!

• Cheers for the input people.

I'll show her some pictures and see what she wants.

More suggestions welcome.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Pansy and Viola seeds should be easy to grow from seeds outside now. grow quick and flower well in to late autumn image