Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

sowing antirrhinum

Hi

Just sowed my first lot of antirrhinum, the pack said sow between Jan - March. Seeds were really fine, I used a mini prop from last years plug plants. I thought I'll use an artist paint brush to pick up the seeds and drop on the cell. Not if they hit the soil or not. In the end I was just tapping the seed package over the cells. Not sure how many will germinate. I have another packet on stand by.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Have you saved some seeds, it may be a bit early, i will sow mine 2nd week in March. You cant plant out till after frost have gone and last year that was nealy June.

By then they could become leggy, keep pinching out to create a 

bushy plant if they do germinate.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks Lyn, The packet said end of January. They have a big window in the spare bedroom. Are they slow growers? I tend to sow a bit early up here in Aberdeen. I normally do the rest of my HHA end of Feb beginning of March then start harden off beginning of May. First time for me snapdragons, so interested to see how the seeds will cope up here.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I fear Lyn is right about the early sowing. They're likely to get too leggy to support themselves on a windowsill. Protected like that you won't be able to put them out til all frosts are over and that's a lot of time growing.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Mark 1963 wrote (see)

Thanks Lyn, The packet said end of January. They have a big window in the spare bedroom. Are they slow growers? I tend to sow a bit early up here in Aberdeen. I normally do the rest of my HHA end of Feb beginning of March then start harden off beginning of May. First time for me snapdragons, so interested to see how the seeds will cope up here.

They are not slow growers, I know someone who lives in Scotland and she doesnt sow anything till the end of March and well into April..some people who are new to gardening are so eager to get started, but there is no advantage whatsoever in starting in Jan

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Oh well, Thanks Nutcutlet and Lyn. I'll know next time. So why did the seed company put on the packet, sow between January to March, surely it would have been better advice to say sow in March?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

In a heated greenhouse  grown on as bedding plant producers do, you'd be OK

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Oh right! I understand now, thanks again nutcutletimage