Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sowing Ornamental Grasses

I've got a large wildflower border i want to add some large ornamental grasses to, i've got some seed packets and plan to sow them soon in the greenhouse. 

I was wondering what the best way to do it, by instinct you would think multiple seeds per cell tray/pot, but not sure if this is right? If so how many seeds per say 3" cell of a tray?

I've got:

purple pheasants tail - Anemanthele lessoniana

Swtich Grass - Panicum virgatum

Pennisetum villosum 'Cream Falls'

Pennisetum macrourum 'Tail Feathers' 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi andy, Id go for multiples. I sow grasses all together in a wide pot then prick out to 3, 4 or 5 in a 3" pot

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I sowed grasses last year - pennisetum 'Cream fall' and another.

I wasn't sure what to do, or what the germination would be. I sowed into a 1/4 size seed tray. I found germination was good and had attractive grassees by the end of the summer season.

• Cheers looks like about 4-5 per 3 inch cell will be about right image Can add that to my jobs for the weekend in the greenhouse!

• Can I ask (sorry to hijack Andy), are these grasses ok in shade?

The last metre or so of my otherwise very bright south facing garden has yet to get any direct sun this year. I'm risking it with some wildflower mix, but something with a bit of height would be good and I like the sound of 'billowing'.

Andy, wildflowers and ornamental grass sounds like a lovely combination - hence copying!

PF the pheasants tail does well in shade, seeds around but is easy to remove. 

• Thanks! I'll give it a go image

And PF

Mr Bowles Golden Grass. Millium effusum aureum. Lovely in shade. Easy from seed.

• Nutcutlet, I think I've got the golden grass already only I had no idea what it was! Currently sat in the sunniest spot in my garden, so I shall move it! image