Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Bunny ...
I am moving a couple of spirea and have read they should be pruned back in spring hard. Having never done pruning of one before how much do I remove
Bunny ...
Yes I saw tha one when I was looking it up which confused me , am now not sure whether to bother book said to prune that seems to say wait til after flowers.
Bunny, I prune now varieties like Gold flame, Anthony waterer etc......the small shrubby ones....right down to the ground now. Actually mine are always done in autumn. Then again after flowering. However, on the yellow/orange foliage ones I do not allow any flowers preferring to see the foliage colour instead. The bigger ones I remove all flowered shoots ...after flowering
Bunny ...
Right think I have Sussed it , thanks .

Gardening Grandma

I guess the problem is that you want to move them and it would be easier to cut them back first. Really, the worst that can happen is that you lose this year's flowers.

Bunny, what colour is your spires? Is it white? And what size?
Bunny ...
I have a big snow mound which as yet hasn't been pruned as wanted the size , that's prune after flowering.
I have golden spirea , dwarf gold leaves, pink flowers only about foot and half high, says trim if required spring.
Spirea japonica shironbana pink and white flowers...that's the one wasn't sure of , prune slightly now old flowers off , only foot and half high yet.
Bunny ...
Have since read on another not move and prune, . Shall just move this year .
Snowbound is pruned after flowering. Shironbana is same as gold flame etc.....these flower on new wood and twice during summer. For nice bushy plant and early summer flowers prune now.

I've one of those wedding spray ones. I put it right at the back of the border so that when the main flowers of summer come out we can't the leaves but when it flowers there isn't much in front - well that's the theory. 

Hope it stays within its patch