Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Spirea

Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
I am moving a couple of spirea and have read they should be pruned back in spring hard. Having never done pruning of one before how much do I remove image

• Hi, Bunny. Liked your pictures on Fork Handles. Here is a link that might be helpful, since there are early and late-flowering spiraeas.

http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_spiraea.htm

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Yes I saw tha one when I was looking it up which confused me , am now not sure whether to bother ....my book said to prune that seems to say wait til after flowers.
    Right think I have Sussed it , thanks .
  • I guess the problem is that you want to move them and it would be easier to cut them back first. Really, the worst that can happen is that you lose this year's flowers.

I have a big snow mound which as yet hasn't been pruned as wanted the size , that's prune after flowering.

I have golden spirea , dwarf gold leaves, pink flowers only about foot and half high, says trim if required spring.

Spirea japonica shironbana pink and white flowers...that's the one wasn't sure of , prune slightly now old flowers off , only foot and half high yet.
    Have since read on another forum...do not move and prune, image . Shall just move this year .
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I've one of those wedding spray ones. I put it right at the back of the border so that when the main flowers of summer come out we can't the leaves but when it flowers there isn't much in front - well that's the theory. image

Hope it stays within its patchimage