11 messages
01/03/2013 at 10:02
I am moving a couple of spirea and have read they should be pruned back in spring hard. Having never done pruning of one before how much do I remove
01/03/2013 at 10:23

Hi, Bunny. Liked your pictures on Fork Handles. Here is a link that might be helpful, since there are early and late-flowering spiraeas.

http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_spiraea.htm

01/03/2013 at 11:03
Yes I saw tha one when I was looking it up which confused me , am now not sure whether to bother ....my book said to prune that seems to say wait til after flowers.
01/03/2013 at 11:30
Bunny, I prune now varieties like Gold flame, Anthony waterer etc......the small shrubby ones....right down to the ground now. Actually mine are always done in autumn. Then again after flowering. However, on the yellow/orange foliage ones I do not allow any flowers preferring to see the foliage colour instead. The bigger ones I remove all flowered shoots ...after flowering
01/03/2013 at 11:56
Right think I have Sussed it , thanks .
01/03/2013 at 12:01

I guess the problem is that you want to move them and it would be easier to cut them back first. Really, the worst that can happen is that you lose this year's flowers.

01/03/2013 at 12:41
Bunny, what colour is your spires? Is it white? And what size?
01/03/2013 at 12:45
I have a big snow mound which as yet hasn't been pruned as wanted the size , that's prune after flowering.
I have golden spirea , dwarf gold leaves, pink flowers only about foot and half high, says trim if required spring.
Spirea japonica shironbana pink and white flowers...that's the one wasn't sure of , prune slightly now old flowers off , only foot and half high yet.
01/03/2013 at 13:08
Have since read on another forum...do not move and prune, . Shall just move this year .
01/03/2013 at 16:23
Snowbound is pruned after flowering. Shironbana is same as gold flame etc.....these flower on new wood and twice during summer. For nice bushy plant and early summer flowers prune now.
01/03/2013 at 16:50

I've one of those wedding spray ones. I put it right at the back of the border so that when the main flowers of summer come out we can't the leaves but when it flowers there isn't much in front - well that's the theory. 

Hope it stays within its patch

email image
11 messages