Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Spring -summer

Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
I know I'm way ahead here but still a new garden , so... Currently it is spring bulbs, tulips, daffs , snowdrops, hellebore.. What is next ? My garden is very much summer and am trying to move to winter interest ,spring interest into summer ..autumn.. Shrubs, bulbs, flowers ..what do we look forward to next .. (So I can pick up ideas) image

• Alchemilla Mollis (Ladies Mantle), aquilegia, foxgloves, many hardy geraniums (cranesbills) such as Johnson's Blue, geums, irises, trollius, veronica all flower early. There are a number of clematis that flower early, especially the (large) clematis montana and there are also roses that start in May. Spicebush and Fothergilla are two early-flowering shrubs that flower around April and May.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Thanks GG I shall note those, I have a couple of those in other places so aiming to move or replace also .
    I've been wary of evergreens since losing some in those really cold winter so tend to have deciduous . I had intended having spring pots but back and foot probs , too busy with business left no time ...hence now lacking. I like the idea of winter honeysuckle , I have an evergreen honeysuckle on pergola , plenty to go at . I think I should have some blossom around too . I have made a note of one to get .
  • The other thing to think of is which plants give real vlaue for money by flowering for a long time, like fuchsias and cranesbills and osteospermum, especially if you choose the right variety.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Bunny, if you don't mind using biennials or short lived plants, you can buy plug plants of forget- me- nots, bellis daisies, violas, primroses etc in autumn, plant them then up they come in late spring putting colour in the garden. Oh and wallflowers - scent as well.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
    Ahhh good point liz , no I don't mind ... Need to be more organised going forward !!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks Hollie , I have some yellow ones .... will look for some more colours, your right they do flower late and grow great in my clay.... I bought some pink seeds to try this year , hope they work.

Don't think I've ever had sweet William image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.