London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
27/02/2013 at 22:43
I know I'm way ahead here but still a new garden , so... Currently it is spring bulbs, tulips, daffs , snowdrops, hellebore.. What is next ? My garden is very much summer and am trying to move to winter interest ,spring interest into summer ..autumn.. Shrubs, bulbs, flowers ..what do we look forward to next .. (So I can pick up ideas)
28/02/2013 at 07:57

Alchemilla Mollis (Ladies Mantle), aquilegia, foxgloves, many hardy geraniums (cranesbills) such as Johnson's Blue, geums, irises, trollius, veronica all flower early. There are a number of clematis that flower early, especially the (large) clematis montana and there are also roses that start in May. Spicebush and Fothergilla are two early-flowering shrubs that flower around April and May.

28/02/2013 at 08:14
Thanks GG I shall note those, I have a couple of those in other places so aiming to move or replace also .
28/02/2013 at 08:32
Bunny, I think everyone ..at first....thinks of a summer garden. I used to have a spring garden fully of colour but nothing at other times. Maybe plant a couple of things for each season.....winter for me is about scent, sarcoccoca, early daphne, witch hazel, Mahonia, winter honeysuckle but colour too from things like nellebores, etc. Evergreen shrubs like hebes, choice dwarf conifers, perennials like Heucheras retain their foliage for most of the year, I now have colour throughout the year....in midst of winter I think your garden can lift the gloom and your spirits with just a single bloom
28/02/2013 at 08:40
I've been wary of evergreens since losing some in those really cold winter so tend to have deciduous . I had intended having spring pots but back and foot probs , too busy with business left no time ...hence now lacking. I like the idea of winter honeysuckle , I have an evergreen honeysuckle on pergola , plenty to go at . I think I should have some blossom around too . I have made a note of one to get .
28/02/2013 at 14:08

The other thing to think of is which plants give real vlaue for money by flowering for a long time, like fuchsias and cranesbills and osteospermum, especially if you choose the right variety.

28/02/2013 at 19:06

Bunny, if you don't mind using biennials or short lived plants, you can buy plug plants of forget- me- nots, bellis daisies, violas, primroses etc in autumn, plant them then up they come in late spring putting colour in the garden. Oh and wallflowers - scent as well.

28/02/2013 at 20:49
Ahhh good point liz , no I don't mind ... Need to be more organised going forward !!
28/02/2013 at 21:42

I know what you mean Bunny regarding an all season approach. Just an idea but for late Summer/ early Autumn flowers, have you thought about Rudbeckias?

I'm grew some mixed ones last year and once they got going they really did well and flowered well into October.

I've also seen some very cheap sweet william plants that will flower beautifully in the early Summer.

28/02/2013 at 22:05
Thanks Hollie , I have some yellow ones .... will look for some more colours, your right they do flower late and grow great in my clay.... I bought some pink seeds to try this year , hope they work.
Don't think I've ever had sweet William
28/02/2013 at 23:18

I've started some cappachino Rudbeckias from seed this year, from what I've learnt from here the bees really love them

I think sweet williams are easy to grow from seed but they grow very well from rooted cuttings and need no special treatment. They grow into busy plants. I've pulled some up and planted them and they have grown.

01/03/2013 at 07:38
Cappachino sound nice .
01/03/2013 at 09:33

Quite often sweetwilliam are biannuals. Having said that I'm hoping for some flowers from the ones I sowed and planted out last year.

The Rudbeckia are great, mine lasted right through to the end of January this year. I grew Rustic Dwarf and previously Cheroke Sunset. Another plant that will give long months of colour is the Aquilegia, they can go on for ever and are a great link between spring and summer.

01/03/2013 at 09:37
Thanks lady gardener .
01/03/2013 at 19:44

what about oriental poppies or peonies? they flower early summer and their flowers are delicate and gorgeous

01/03/2013 at 21:10
You have reminded me of a cutting /runner of peony of my parents , shall have to nurture it on , that could be used. Thanks.
02/03/2013 at 09:13

I'm aiming for a year round nectar bar but late spring/early summer will be a bit of a gap. I'm planning to get apple cordons which would flower in spring, and possibly bird's foot trefoil and snakeshead fritillary for the lawn, when we've laid it. 

02/03/2013 at 09:18
Songs lovely bookmonster
02/03/2013 at 09:18
Songs? Sounds ! Can't touch type with plasters on fingers
02/03/2013 at 10:54

How about some plants with catkins for February - I just read an article about these two, they rae both really pretty and on my wish list.

Salix chaenomeloides has catkins with little red caps on the end, height 12m and spread 5m.

Garrya elliptica James Roof - perfect for a north wall - it is evergreen 20cm catkins, the male is apparently the best for catkins.

1 to 20 of 22 messages