London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
21 to 36 of 36 messages
14/10/2012 at 12:19

Annie -leave them in the pots and keep in the greenhouse-and on the dry side-protect if it gets bitterly cold

14/10/2012 at 15:34
Sotongeoff Thank you for all your help, I don't have a greenhouse but I do have a plant house and a little plastic greenhouse which is too small to hold the canna lilies so I bent tHe leaves over and I will keep my fingers crossed. It's a steep learning curve. I do appreciate all the help I have received.
14/10/2012 at 15:37

Wrap the pots in bubble wrap-to prevent the roots from freezing

14/10/2012 at 15:44
Sotongeoff I will, thank you so much for everything
15/10/2012 at 23:21

I grow a few different types of cannas and to be on the safe side (having lost some before ) i cut them right back, take them out of their pots, clean off all the soil, dry them and then store indoors, in a cool dry garage, wrapped in news paper. i repot them in end of feb/early march with 50/50 manure and multi purpose compost and they triple in size every year and flower in september, you must keep them in full sun though outside once frosts have finished

16/10/2012 at 10:40
Bournemouthgardener Many thanks for your advice, as I said I don't have a greenhouse big enough to take the canna lilies, so your help sounds like the ideal solution to my dilemma .My husband did say I should treat them in a similar way to daffodils. I have been amazed by the help I have been given, I will get started on the lilies now since we have had a frost on a couple of nights.Many thanks.
17/10/2012 at 18:54

Try Wilkinsons they have quite a variety and reasonably priced.

17/10/2012 at 19:14
Mike W Thank you for telling me about Wilkinsons, I'll have have a look into the store and see what is available , thanks again.
17/10/2012 at 22:47
anniegirl wrote (see)
Mike W Thank you for telling me about Wilkinsons, I'll have have a look into the store and see what is available , thanks again.

Hi Annie, I`ve just had an on line order delivered from Wilkinsons which included Bluebells, Daffs miniatures, standard and doubles,5 different tulips, crocus etc all excellent quality and price, nothing soft or wet, and they are currently all at 3 for the price of 2, but be quick !!

18/10/2012 at 14:05
Thanks Dan I've been onto the Wilkinsons site and bought some bulbs,I must say the prices are impressive, so I'm looking forward to getting out to the garden once they arrive. Thanks again
18/10/2012 at 15:16

hiya all just reading information on cannas as i live in devon and its very mild this year my cannas did not flower so on all your advice i am going to dig them up.as there are a lot of stems around 20 do i take the soil off or leave it in one big clump,as i will never have a pot big enough the clump is around 2ft square can anyone help.

18/10/2012 at 19:31
anniegirl wrote (see)
Thanks Dan I've been onto the Wilkinsons site and bought some bulbs,I must say the prices are impressive, so I'm looking forward to getting out to the garden once they arrive. Thanks again

Hi Annie, my pleasure. Like many others I use / have used T&M , Suttons, Parkers etc. but can be expensive for ordinary seeds, bulbs etc so I looked at Wilkos. and others for value for money lines for the everyday stuff and have not been let down and saved £££££££££££££££££`s, hope this helps others too.

19/10/2012 at 15:30
Hi chica, when I lift my cannas I remove all the soil off them and split the roots so that I have 2 or 3 shoots on each section, that way they will be a more manageable size for repotting in feb into pots to get them started early in the greenhouse. Don't forget to cut off all the leaves down to about 3 inches, make sure they are dry and then store them in a cool frost free place
21/10/2012 at 19:45
Hi Dan I've just received my bulbs from Wilkinsons and I am delighted. Only a fraction of the price, as you said, and good quality, I look forward to getting them into the pots. Thank you so much.
24/04/2014 at 09:42

I have been using Parker's Dutch bulbs wholesale for many years. They continue to be excellent value, excellent quality, they deliver on time, keep customers informed and have the vast range we need. We use many of their bulbs in bedding schemes & borders in patterns. If I plant 500 or 5000 I can accurately gauge success - rarely are any missing & those that are are still in the ground with their flower shoots moused out! 

As other examples, their Hippeastrums are fabulous and much admired, their Garlic and Onions excellent.and rarely failing

I find that their plants are supplied exactly as explained in their catalogues (on line and hard copy). For the cost, the plant material supplied is as I would expect. Bare root supply is normal for many of these plants - paying for compost, a pot, growing on space in a nursery and postage of bulky pots isn't necessary for many perennials, trees & shrubs. Though it does rely on the buyer to turn these into thriving plants.

I have occasionally evaluated other companies for comparisons but haven't found the range & value that Parkers (retail) or Dutch bulbs (Wholesale) offer.

Parkers get my vote then!!

24/04/2014 at 10:45

What a testimonial. I hope they paid you well

email image
21 to 36 of 36 messages