Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

spring bulbs in summer

flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I bought some daffodils that were going cheap in the end of season bargain bin.I planted them so as they would ready for next year ,I didt expect them to start growing and flowering .They are growing and one in bud and all looking healthy.Is this climate change or confused daffodilsimage

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Just confused daffodils.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 568

The daffs are not confused. They will flower next year. Don't expect them to grow during the summer. That is their dormant season, right?

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Just catching up with themselves I should think f rose. They'd already prepared themselves for this year during last year. Does that make sense? 

They'll be on time next year

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575

Ditto experiences here with 200+ 'very late planted' daffs etc - they're flowering now just as the tulips are finishing! Must be said that the slugs just love the challege of ascending the 2' stems to 'sample' the buds!! Urggh!!

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

mine are just coming into flower which is so odd, so I have daffodils with the sweetpeas .image