London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
8 messages
04/11/2013 at 18:38

Hello,

I 've planted, around 4-5 weeks ago some spring bulbs. All of them are planted in pots and stay outside in full shade. Today I saw that in pot, where are Aliums Purple Sensation and small Narcisis planted together, appear few new shoots. Could you, please, advice me what to do with them at this time of year? I am completely new to gardening and don't know how to treat them and if they will grow now, would they be able to flower in spring too?

04/11/2013 at 18:42

They form roots now , and will flower later. They will soon slow down when the cold weather hits.

04/11/2013 at 18:49

One of my pots has shoots. I pushed the label in so far I can't find it but I'm sure I'll recognise them when they flower.

We have ideas about when plants should do what but you only have to read through a few threads here to see that they do anything anytime.

I don't think it matters and if it does you can't change it.

05/11/2013 at 12:43

Go with the flow and smile. Just think if they never showed at all. Please don't worrit.

05/11/2013 at 16:34

Daffs will start to show now but wont flower till spring.

05/11/2013 at 16:42

A lot of us on this forum have found bulbs popping up early because untill very recently it has been so mild. 

You don't need to do anything - just wait till spring and enjoy them.

05/11/2013 at 18:40

Resident blackbird tribe et al have been busy scratting around in bedded areas f newly-planted bulbs. My response is to replace and add extra 2-3 inches of loose compost/soil on top - hopefully the disturbances won't upset the shooting bulbs if not 'airborne' for too long?

05/11/2013 at 19:08

No way are my shooting tips the result of any bird activities. This has happened regularly over a number of years and is nothing at all to worry about. As the weather gets colder, the bulb top growth will slow down and all will be well.

email image
8 messages