London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
12 messages
24/05/2012 at 20:19

I'm new to gardening so sorry if this seems a stupid question, but can I dig up the spring bulbs I have in containers?  I need the pots to plant out some summer plants and wonder if I dig up the bulbs how do I store them ready for planting later in the year?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

24/05/2012 at 20:24

Have you got a corner of the garden where you can plant them to let them die down slowly, then the energy from the leaves will go to replenish the bulbs.

24/05/2012 at 20:30
The foliage on spring flowering bulbs should be allowed to die back naturally to feed the bulbs for the next season. Tulip bulbs generally don't do so well year on year, but are one of the bulbs that may be dug up, dried and so red in a dark cool airy place (shed, cellar...) and replanted. They can be stored in old onion nets, tights or similar. Narcissi (daffs) generally do best if kept in a growing medium. You could plant shallow rooted annuals on top of the bulbs in the pots when the dying foliage gives space. And feeding the bulbs ( in their pots still) may help next year's display as well.
24/05/2012 at 20:30

I have some space near the conifer hedge, would that be OK? 

24/05/2012 at 20:31
So red should be stored!
24/05/2012 at 20:35
Might be a bit dry by the conifer hedge. And you would have to mark the spot as foliage disappears in summer. If you have less precious containers, you could move them into those, and stack them by hedge.
26/05/2012 at 17:47
That sounds a good plan, many thanks.
08/09/2012 at 10:33

I know I should feed blubs after flowering with a liquid feed - but does it matter what sort of liquid feed? Would tomato feed do the job?

08/09/2012 at 13:49

Yes it will and you can feed them once they start flowering and until the foliage starts to turn brown.

08/09/2012 at 13:51

Not really, you want a feed which encourages the roots and leaves after flowering, use Maxicrop or such like, rather than a high Potash one which encourages flowering.

08/09/2012 at 15:16

But don't you want to build up a decent flower bud too?

I fed my bulbs in containers thus this spring, plus pelleted chicken manure for all round goodies, and they're now in the ground for a permanent display - the ones, that is, that didn't freeze to a mush spending winter in pots.

08/09/2012 at 19:18
This year I have used a liquid seaweed feed on everything. Got it from local allotment store and I think it's about as organic as you can get. I notice that on my indoor pelargoniums I have not got any white build up of nitrates around top and sides of pots. Flowers seem better and stronger too. Anybody else found this?
email image
12 messages