Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Spring plants!

Hi all, it's not very often I post on here, so I hope you don't all mind me picking your brains. Ive got a new border this year, destined to be spring/woodland type; All ready for planting next month.

These are my ideas so far, some of which are already growing on as young plants in pots, but looking for people's favourite spring plants to expand my horizon a little.

hammamelis / mahonia (soft caress) / daphne / cornus

hellebore (tons!) / dicentra / omphalodes / Solomon's seal / brunnera (starry eyes) / pulmonaria / aquilegia / trillium (really want ruby realm) / epimedium / polystichum

tulips/dafs/fritillaria/muscari/erythronium

Its a fair sized border so I intend to repeat plant along it. 

What gems of spring am I missing????????!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks in advance! xx

• Primulas, especially the native primrose and oxslip http://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/105 image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ooh yes, I love the native primose, not so keen on the garish sorts! Fab! Never grown true oxslip will definately give that a try too - thank you so much!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

White snowdrops look fab planted near the bright red forms of cornus so see if you can find some plants in local garden centres and nurseries.   You can gradually split and spread them over the years to make a carpet.

Native bluebells?  Not the broader leaved Spanish ones but the real, fine, blue English bluebell.   

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Bergenia

Cyclamen

Bluebells

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Got distracted and we crossed obelisk

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • great suggestions; thank you. I have tons of snowdrops so could transplant some-they'd probably do well for a dividing- tend to take them for granted a little; I really shouldn't coz they are lovely, have a patch through some ophiopogon and the contrast is fab! (Sorry that spelling might be dodgy!)

Cornus wise I have several red sibirica, so I was contemplating "midwinter fire" for a bit of a change, I know it has mixed reviews but my granddad has a stunning one and I've always coveted it!! Anyone any experience with that variety???

Ooh yes obelixx, the english bluebell - great idea! I too have passionate dislike of the thuggish Spanish one! 

Yviestevie - really like cyclamen but never seem to do v. well for me- tips anyone????

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I have over a dozen of the Midwinter Fire in my own woodland corner.  Started with one plant which grew well but was in the wrong spot for deepest winter visibility so several year ago I moved it to where it gets more winter sun and I can see it from my usual perch on the sofa.

Hadn't realised that it suckers so the next spring I dug out a dozen new babies from its original spot and put some in the new woodland corner and the rest were potted up to give away.  I found another half dozen the following spring.  Last year loads more which I'm afraid I binned after giving two away.   This year there's just the one, bang in the middle of a clump or monarda/bergamot I've been nurturing so I've just pruned that one back to the soil.

The one I have in the front suckers happily too.   I find they don't take to hard pruning like the alba sibirica so now I just take out a third of the stems each year and cut the rest back to a shape.  Too much sulking otherwise and thin spindly growth which is not pretty.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LucyLLucyL Posts: 163

Last year i had a white blue bell, which i loved (and hoping it comes up this year too!) Is this the same species as the Endglish Blue bells as was growing amongst it. I have Crocus, Iris, and snowdrops, and daffs for spring image

• Corylopsis and anemone blanda