London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
8 messages
14/05/2013 at 14:09

Hi I am new to the forums, so I apologise in advance if this topic has been raised before. I would like to grow a standard fuschia having only grown trailers before. Is it possible to grow a standard from a trailing variety?

Cheers

jayne

14/05/2013 at 14:54

Hello Jayne,

I'm a frequent visitor to the forums but an infrequent contributor as I don't often have anything to add to posts by the very knowledgeable folk on here.  In this case, though, I can say that, yes, it is possible - I did it a few years ago but I must admit I did it in error, thinking I'd used a non-trailing fuchsia.  It did look pretty for the first couple of years, although a bit wild as of course it wanted to trail rather than bush out.  I ended up feeling rather sorry for it and let it go.  If you were to use a non-trailing variety I think the results would be better but good luck, whatever you decide.

14/05/2013 at 20:35

Hi Heliotrope thanks for your advice, do you have any suggestions as to what variety would give best results, I do like the double size flowers but I have onl;y come across those in trailing types.

15/05/2013 at 11:55

If you can find a 3 leaves instead of a pair thats the best way to start a standard Jane.

Good luck 

15/05/2013 at 18:10

Sorry - no, I'm not sure.  Vernon's Geraniums (despite the name) do a reasonable number of fuchsia so you could try their website.  I expect there's a fuchsia society as well,

Kind regards,

15/05/2013 at 20:15

Hi Jayne, I'm growing Marinka as a standard from a cutting, it's about 18 inches at the minute, ScotKats comment about trying to find a 3 leaved shoot instead of two is right, you'll end up with a bushier 'head' on your standard.

19/07/2014 at 13:31

Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post.  My 2 standards are coming on quite well but apart from keeping the side shoots removed I find that the plants are now throwing shoots from the base of the plant, does this mean they need a larger pot or should I just keep removing these shoots like the side shoots.

Lyn
19/07/2014 at 13:45

Once you have a good head on the plant, then remove the leaves from the stalk, remove all side shoots from stem and base all the way through the growing period as soon as they appear, but dont take the the leaves off until you have a good head.

email image
8 messages