London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
6 messages
14/05/2013 at 14:09

Hi I am new to the forums, so I apologise in advance if this topic has been raised before. I would like to grow a standard fuschia having only grown trailers before. Is it possible to grow a standard from a trailing variety?

Cheers

jayne

14/05/2013 at 14:54

Hello Jayne,

I'm a frequent visitor to the forums but an infrequent contributor as I don't often have anything to add to posts by the very knowledgeable folk on here.  In this case, though, I can say that, yes, it is possible - I did it a few years ago but I must admit I did it in error, thinking I'd used a non-trailing fuchsia.  It did look pretty for the first couple of years, although a bit wild as of course it wanted to trail rather than bush out.  I ended up feeling rather sorry for it and let it go.  If you were to use a non-trailing variety I think the results would be better but good luck, whatever you decide.

14/05/2013 at 20:35

Hi Heliotrope thanks for your advice, do you have any suggestions as to what variety would give best results, I do like the double size flowers but I have onl;y come across those in trailing types.

15/05/2013 at 11:55

If you can find a 3 leaves instead of a pair thats the best way to start a standard Jane.

Good luck 

15/05/2013 at 18:10

Sorry - no, I'm not sure.  Vernon's Geraniums (despite the name) do a reasonable number of fuchsia so you could try their website.  I expect there's a fuchsia society as well,

Kind regards,

15/05/2013 at 20:15

Hi Jayne, I'm growing Marinka as a standard from a cutting, it's about 18 inches at the minute, ScotKats comment about trying to find a 3 leaved shoot instead of two is right, you'll end up with a bushier 'head' on your standard.

email image
6 messages