London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
10 messages
08/05/2014 at 18:54

Hi all, I have bought a standard Geranium for the patio this Summer. What is the best way to keep them over Winter?

I have a greenhouse which I can keep heated or it can go by the back door which receives a good amount of light but no-where near as good as the greenhouse.

Do they require any other special treatment?

09/05/2014 at 19:57

Just bumping this up as some knowledge would be awesome

09/05/2014 at 22:04

I don't have any but I'll give it another bump.

09/05/2014 at 23:37

I did not know there was such a thing and after seeing the post bumped decided to look it up and yes there is a nursery doing standards.

I can only assume they will be able to take the cold though not heavy frost so a greenhouse would possibly be the best winter cover for it although heating a greenhouse is a very expensive business. The only special treatment I imagine would be water and feed the plant dead heading as needed.

This is all guess work from my experience with Geraniums and Pelargonium of which I have many, just never thought of making a standard.

Frank.

10/05/2014 at 06:40

A friend who was a gardener at a stately home used to grow a few of these - they would be over-wintered in the orangery.

If a heated greenhouse isn't available I would take it into the house, either in a frostfree conservatory or failing that on a windowsill - I would keep the soil on the dry side and just keep it ticking over.   

Hope you've got a big windowsill.  

10/05/2014 at 08:54

A few miles from me a row of small cottages were covered by pelargoniums.  So to a height of 8' or more and a delightful splash of colour.  This was many years ago ....before "global warming".......but I cannot say for how many years they persisted.  

I experimented with growing pelargoniums as climbers ....the ivy leaf but any vigorous plant would do well as an annual climber in the summer.  Think I got 5' or so.   If protected over winter, down here anyway, and grown against a south facing wall it would be quite a sight.  Might dig out a suitable variety and try again 

10/05/2014 at 09:18

Hi Verdun - above-mentioned stately home also had 'climbing pelargoniums' in a frostfree glass 'porch' over one of the doors out to the garden,  The gardener/friend said they were old varieties that had been grown there for generations - she'd not found them available to buy anywhere.

10/05/2014 at 17:43

Would I need to cut it back at all? Or would I leave the stem intact and just pinch out any dying leaves?

Logic seems to tell me that I should just let the stem grow.

10/05/2014 at 19:42

Let the stem grow, pinch off any seed head and dead flowers trim into shape with scissors in other words be gentle just adjust the head shape . Quite often if you have a South facing brick wall out of the wind that will be enough to keep it with probably a bubble wrap when frost is on the way, I put pot plants next to the wall to over winter and it works.

Frank.

10/05/2014 at 20:13

Thanks for advice guys! Puts my mind at ease, glad It's in in the greenhouse in this awful weather! 

email image
10 messages