Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Standard red robin - poorly!!!

I have a standard red Robin at the front of my house. It out out very little grown last year and the leaves look marbled with speckles and I was to give it a boost. Any ideas. I have had this in a pot for 5 years, I then planted into the ground about a year and a half ago, I loosened the roots and put plenty of compost in the hole when planting as its clay! I also dug sand,grit and compost into the bed to improve the heavy heavy clay. How can I give it a boost and pick it up. In the bed under this tree I planted bedding plants last year. This standard red robin is now about 4ft tall but the round head is probably only a sphere about 2ft across.

• I have some soil improver so may throw some if that at the base. Chicken pelly so ok???

I built up the eart about a foot so I could put bedding plants in without being down at the root ball level. It was the first bush I ever bought and I really don't want to loose it!

I have cineraria at the base as it overwintered and I'm unsure if I can take cuttings off this then oust. Or just trim back, then I can get to the soil more and turn the top with fertiliser.

Thanks for replying!
  • Oh my dad trimmed it back about 7 months after it was planted and he took it back hard to make a shape. So I would be cutting into old wood now if I took more!!
  • Yes that's what my dad was advised to do especially as was windy at my front when it was planted. Just hoping it picks up and puts on

More growth this year. Will turn in some chicken pellets and water ASAP!
  • Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

Photinia is prone to its own version of Rose Black Spot, and should be treated in the same way. Remove affected leaves ( it may look very bare for a while but will recover) and pick up any fallen leaves. Spray new growth with a fungicide like Systhane.

It spreads through a photinia by means of raindrops landing on an affected leaf and splashing onto other leaves. 

• Will put in some fertiliser and see how we go. It was bought as a standard, not my idea but looked stunning when I bought it all those years ago. Thanks for tips
  • HumboldtHumboldt Posts: 1

My photinia recently has lost lots of leaves - post sever winds and salt from sea spray. Some new leaves curly after a short time. Should i prune back to healthy shoots.?  New growth seem ok? Confused.. Had a beautiful bushy hedge.. Can i rescue it?

Now its sparce and needs something.. Help please.

• I know this thread is a bit old now, but was interested by what Verdun was saying about photinias being fussy and disease-prone.

I have a still very young and small (1.5ft, plants last year) Pink Marble, which was literally massacred by a pest in Spring - most of the lovely, tender pink leaves were eaten in a matter of days, in spite of attempts on my part to protect it. I tried using garlic spray to deter pests, as I don't like using chemicals, and although this works brilliantly on aphids etc, I suspect pests like caterpillars etc don't mind it.

Has anyone had the same experience or know what could have eaten it so?

I never saw what it was doing the damage, but am determined not to let the little b****rs do the same thing again this year - it really decimated the poor plant...