London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
1 to 20 of 145 messages
10/08/2013 at 17:37

Do you think it's a good Idea to start a blog of my garden starting On monday.

Showing my garden with photos and plans of projects I aim to take on.in 2013/2014

what do you think

James

10/08/2013 at 18:13

yes 

10/08/2013 at 19:10

Great idea if you have the time.... I used to do a blog b4 lo was born no time now!!

10/08/2013 at 21:40

something I've often thought about doing.might happen one day. good idea 

10/08/2013 at 21:47

Good plan

11/08/2013 at 13:22

I'd like to read it

11/08/2013 at 16:34

Me too!

11/08/2013 at 16:37

Time to get on with it then CG, we're waiting

12/08/2013 at 15:39

Hello To all

I would first like to say “thank you” for all the support and encouragement on Starting this Blog

Within this post I hope to fill it with my Ideas’, hope’s, projects, accomplishment and of course failure because if we don’t fail we will never learn.

I was taking to one of my neighbours on Saturday about my garden well we were having a cuppa when he comments about the amount of time I’ve spent in my garden this year when I replied it’s all down to my “new pacemaker” this was fitted in late June . I’ve been quite ill over the past 3 to 4 years and only really maintained the grass with a few plant pots.

Ok here is the plan for my garden

Finish clearing the ivy that has over grown, over the years quite basically taken over the bottom left part of my garden and next doors garage roof and my boundary.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29227.jpg?width=250&height=350&mode=max

Once this has been cleared I intend to also cut back the shrubs that grow in front of the ivy where this as also over grown however the species eludes me all I can say that it’s over grown and needs to be cut back hard!! (I will include a photo of this shrub/small tree). After the shrubs and Ivy have been cleared I intend to add my green house in front of the wooden fence, this also needs repairing and painting before the greenhouse goes up also to the left of the green house I have a three sided enclosed space where all I can think of using this area for is storage of overwintered plant pot nurture the holly bush and adding a water butt to the conservatory down pipe.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29228.jpg?width=620&height=350&mode=max

Image says June but this should say 1st of August sorry

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29229.jpg?width=250&height=350&mode=max

In progress is a new step. This is required for two reasons one my dog kicks it everywhere and I have a friend that struggles with the big step down.

Also to the back garden is a fence to finish with the hope that it will stop the dogs running everywhere and on everything. I plan to finish this fence this month with a compost area and fence to paint that’s all I plan to do this year to the rear of the garden.

Front garden I plan to clear as much of the tree’s away, so I can make raised beds for a veggie garden 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29230.jpg?width=125&height=350&mode=max

James

12/08/2013 at 16:31

Wow! That's quite a project CG.  We have lots of ivy too, but I don't want

to remove all of it, as it's the type of ivy that bears yellow flowers in the summer

(which red admirals love) and the blackbirds feed on the clusters of black berries

which replace the yellow flowers in the Autumn - it keeps them going most of  

the winter months so they love it - they also nest in it regularly.  On the other

hand, ivy is quite difficult to control isn't it!

Be careful when pulling it off anything as, over time, the ivy makes a lot of

dust which wouldn't be good for you to breathe in  (especially if you have any

kind of allergy).  I do hope everything goes well for you and look forward to

reading your next blog.  Love your dogs by the way!  We have a golden

retriever who likes digging holes all over the place - great fun!

12/08/2013 at 22:09

I have five dogs and they claim everything in the garden by cocking there legs. anything thats new. also anything thats upright from a spade to a bag of compost thats just been set down to be used. The springer even has a worry spot where you often see him with a toy well just his bum sticking out from a bush LOL

I'm hoping this will change when the fence is finished.

but I wouldn't be without them

James

19/08/2013 at 09:20

Week 2

Update on my garden

Well I’ve had a quite week really with no clearing of my garden. The reason for this is I have twisted my foot and can’t walk on it without pain killers. However I don’t mind to much just sitting in my garden enjoying what I’ve done already. I have planted in pot some perennials for next year and also bought some more seeds and plugs as well here is the list for new arrivals i hope to be growing in my garden next year, this does mean I have to erect my greenhouse as soon as possible or move them into the conservatory for the winter.

Here is the list of plugs plant/seeds sown last week

30 x Geranium White plug plants zonal pelargonium received 42

6 Pansy Freefall winter trailing plug plants

30 blue lupins sown from seed

30 mix lupins sown from seed

2 Agapanthus black pantha not yet received but on their way

10 Michaelmas daisy (Aster novae-belgii)

10 Papaver ‘Double Tangerine gem’

10 Echinacea Pallida ‘Coneflower’

5 Comfrey blocking 14

Winter Pansy seed sown Friday

Viola seed sown from summer plants first time collection for my and they are coming up nicely small orange/purple flowers

I have also made some cuttings from a ball accident involving a fuchsia sitting in my kitchen window also Jasmine and clematis

I also intend to take Rosemary cutting this week when my perlite arrives.

To do this week in the garden

I plan on returning to my fence build as I have bought some more wood to make another panel also fence by the greenhouse area is going to be painted ready for the greenhouse base wich is also on my list of items to finish this month

James

20/08/2013 at 07:40

Morning all I hope you are all well I know I said this is a weekly Blog but I have a small update and where better to mark my cutting date than here.

I have just done my Rosemary cuttings today 12 in total 

I'm going to make some lavender cuttings as well at the weekend again 12 divided in two pots taken from a mature plant that never get pruned (this is not my plant but grows at my local Hospital)

I plan to paint my fence today and start on my greenhouse as I have a lot of seed tray/plants in pots

I also plan to cut my grass and clear some more of my hedges as the council are working on the pathways around my area as my hedge steps over the boundary of the path a little bit

The front garden I plan to clear over the winter and make some raised beds ,I'm saving up for some railway sleepers I think 12 should do it. This will make 4 raised beds hopefully 

Thanks for reading my post comments and advice are always welcome and at times needed

James

20/08/2013 at 20:02

Thank you James

20/08/2013 at 22:06

Sounds great James - how do you take cuttings of Rosemary - I have a

large Rosemary bush which has turned a bit woody, so would be glad of

a tip on how to grow  a nice new one or two.  Many thanks!

21/08/2013 at 11:05

Flowersforbees

go to YouTube type fork to fork herbs and watch Monty take his cuttings great tips

I've never been able to take them before so fingers crossed 

this is not a fob off just a point in the right direction 

James

21/08/2013 at 20:34

Thanks for that James - I'll take a look - Mony makes things look so easy,

so hopefully it will work for me too!

11/09/2013 at 21:45

Hi James - What's happened to your weekly blog? Hope your foot

isn't still making things difficult? 

11/09/2013 at 21:47

I've been busy in the garden I will update tomorrow with photo's

I didn't think anyone was really following my post

James

11/09/2013 at 22:42

I'm sure lots of people would like to follow your post James - including me!

It's not quite so easy now everything is starting to die back, to make our

posts as interesting as in the height of the summer.  I'm struggling myself,  as

my wildflower garden is more or less dead!  Keep posting though - it's good

for the soul (or should I say soil)! 

1 to 20 of 145 messages