London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
14/05/2014 at 21:17

Hi, i have a steep slope about 5 meters top to bottom and 10 meters long.  Its the steep bit left over from terracing if that makes sense, i have flat bits above it and below it.  its south facing, quite dry. 

The soil was put there by the digger man. Its quite soft, not compacted. It has been there a year and not moved much with the rain.  

it was seeded last autumn with a green manure, but is quite weedy now too!

I would like ideas for a small number of plants to buy in quantities that work well together.  I suppose i am thinking good ground cover spreaders, but would love to see some pics if anyone has anything similar.  I am fine to plant it up, but do not want to be maintaining it often.  Hopeful for ideas! 

14/05/2014 at 22:01

If your soil is acid, heathers might look good.  I`ve seen steep banks covered with "Mind your own business" too which spreads like crazy and covers everything.  Have often thought about placing stone shapes and let the plant run all over them, with a bit of imagination could make an interesting feature. I think the plant is called Helxine ??

Short varieties of lavender may work too as they are drought resistant.  Munstead is easy to grow from seed, and would be a cost effective way to produce lots of plants.  Small leaf variegated ivy would look after itself quite well too.

Sorry, haven`t got any pics!

14/05/2014 at 23:33

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4815/hypericumcalycinumj4.jpg

Hypericum calycinum makes a good ground cover for banks.

15/05/2014 at 03:22

Those sprang to mind here too, Lizzie, perhaps alternated with one of the vincas.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45819.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

15/05/2014 at 08:40

I would think about alpines - usually a section in the garden centre. Plants are small but usually lovely and very hardy. They like free draining soil and exposed conditions. Cistus would grow well too and can be bigger. Bulbs in the spring would also be lovely and provide interest early in the year. Small trees like maples can do well.

15/05/2014 at 15:26

Oo i am very much liking the look of the hypericum.  Does anyone know the best way to start ie is it reliable from seed? 

15/05/2014 at 22:55

They sell trays of it in my local garden centre, not very expensive, especially for that sort of thing. But I live in France.

16/05/2014 at 16:38

Anybody done hypericum calycinum from seed pls?

email image
8 messages