Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Stipa Gigantea

StaceyjStaceyj Posts: 62

I put a Stipa Gigantea in what I thought was a good place in spring. It has been crowded out by Naughtia all summer and is now getting wet feet. Can I move it now or is the risk of moving it in autumn more than leaving it in soggy conditions?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Not the best time but I think I'd move it from soggy conditions. Take it with as much soil as you can so it's not too much of a shock image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've moved two specimens of S G , both died. Good luck.

Devon.
  • BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

A few years ago I was pulling out the old flowers stalls which had gone tatty. To my horror I pulled up some of the grass with it! I snapped off the dead stem and planted up the 'division'. The stock plant fills out again by spring, this is how i always propagate this now!

• Diverse opinions! I moved my plant and divided it last autumn and fortunately both gave me a good display....small but good. Good digging.

• StaceyjStaceyj Posts: 62

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will move it as I will probably lose it to sogginess anyway so at the end of the day it will at least have half a chance. Although...I could change my mind and chicken out before I have time at the weekend. Just call me Indecisive instead of Staceyj!!

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Could you not add some grit / sand to the base for increase  drainage?

Maybe if you could fork it gently around the root ball  it would help stop it getting soggy through the wet weather??

Would this work 'verdun ?

What do you think ?

• StaceyjStaceyj Posts: 62

Decision made...I'm going to leave it where it is, protect it as best I can and see what happens. I did add grit when I planted it so you never know, it could be ok. Will report back in the spring. Thanks again all.