Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Storing allium bulbs

They'll be in the shops here in the next week or so and ready for planting straight away so I wouldn't worry.  

What kind are yours and have you planted them deeply enough to be safe from any frosts this winter?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I have Christophii and Purple Sensation and Sphaerocephallum nectarospordum and a white globe form that all spend their lives in the borders from one year to the next and come up and do their thing with no probs.

I think they'll be fine planted now.   I reckon the "plant in october" advice is a "not later than" so the bulbs don't start to dehydrate and weaken.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Agree with obelixx, planting as soon as you get them is best.  Apart from a few fussy bulbs (esp. those which won't survive our wet winters as they are native to different climates), bulbs only deteriorate when left dry and unplanted.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Hi aym. I have just planted my 4 Allium giganteum into 25cm pots - one per pot - as I am intending completely revamping my front garden next year and all my precious plants are being saved in pots until then. I have also planted Allium schubertii in pots (3 per pot) and am awaiting more through the post. Think I've gone a bit onion potty this year but having seen them all at Tatton earlier and how swamped in bees they were I just had to have them.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable