London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
22/10/2012 at 16:56

I am storing my fucshias in a heated greenhouse for the winter,is it ok to put them under the staging or do the need light?

22/10/2012 at 17:01

Have you removed the leaves?

-if yes-

-no they don't need light until you bring them back into growth.

22/10/2012 at 19:46

Remember that fuchsias were discovered br Mr FUCHS hence the spelling. I reduce all of the stemms to about 4" or 5", strip off all leaves and flowers, then store under the greenhouse staging with a layer of bubble wrap or fleece over the top. My greenhouse is a cool greenhouse.

22/10/2012 at 21:55

What are stemms?

22/10/2012 at 22:30

The things that the leaves grow out of !

23/10/2012 at 06:56

No it isn't-surely- it is the things the leavves grow out of !

23/10/2012 at 09:01

Maybe I'm doing things wrong but all I do is reduce the height of the stems but never strip the leaves off . I just let them drop off naturally but I do remove any late flowers or buds that form. Have you considered making standards out of them ? I do this every year for friends and family - they are really easy to do

23/10/2012 at 11:14

Shame on you Graemegarden,  behave, have you forgotten when you first started this gardening lark you were nurturing weed seedlings and digging up flower seedlings?

You could be discouraging the next AT !!

23/10/2012 at 11:27

Jean I would love to have a standard fuchsia, how do you do it?

23/10/2012 at 11:47

i have a brugmansia which i have brought in for the winter can anyone tell me if i should prune it ?

23/10/2012 at 11:55

They are really easy ,Kate. You start off with a cutting of an upright fuchsia  (although I have experimented with a trailing one ) Try and find the straightest one you can but don't pinch out the growing tip as it needs to grow upright rather than bush out. let it grow to about 6 inches and tie it to a thin cane gently so it is as straight as possible . As it grows rub out the sideshoots near the bottom of the whip but leave the ones near the top as they will form the head, Just carry on tying in and removing lower side shoots from the whip until you reach the height you want. you can then start pinching out the sideshoots at the top of the plant when they have 2 or 3 pairs of leaves but don't let it flower in it's first year. The stem will eventually go woody and you can then remove any leaves left on the main stem if they haven't dropped off.

Hope this makes sense Kate, I've been doing them for years and they are really easy. You can have a quarter standard , a half standard , and a full standard . it depends on how big you want it to grow. You can use this method for other plants as well but I have only grown the fuchsia standards,

23/10/2012 at 12:12

Sorry Maureen not sure I haven't grown Angels trumpets but someone will help  I prune my standard fuchsias about November . This is a full standard , Deltas Sarah I think. As you can see it badly needs a prune - it's gone ballistic this year

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15159.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

I've known it since it was a twig

23/10/2012 at 12:13

Thanks for that Jean, I will have a go

23/10/2012 at 12:22

Meant to say , Kate you may have to re-pot it as it grows . Good luck.

23/10/2012 at 13:06

My fuchsias were late this year, some had barely flowered; 1 had dozens of big fat buds. Then last week the frost came .

Judging by the weather forecast for later this week I'd better start moving & fleecing the survivors. We have a Riccartonii in a large tub at the front (south facing) which OH calls "Big Dangles."  As last winter was comparatively mild the top growth did not die off so he's rather a fine specimen this year.  Big Dangles must live! .

23/10/2012 at 13:21

Mine were also late this year, Jeannie but they are still flowering . Thats one of the reasons I love fuchsias - you always get a long flowering period from them.  I agree, you must save Big Dangles !!!

Maureen, have a look at this link.http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=576

Hope this will help you.

23/10/2012 at 16:25

Jean, You aren't doing anything wrong just differently. If I leave the leaves and flowers to drop in their own good time they will certainly get botritus so I strip everything off. I have a better success rate this way.

23/10/2012 at 18:13

I've got quite a few Fuchsias and over winter mine in a heated greenhouse, the tempreture is is kept above freezing. I let the leaves yellow and then remove them and any dead flowers. I do cut them back slightly and water them sparingly over the winter so that the compost doesnt completly dry out. If the winter is really cold I put fleece over them as well. Mine are now all in the greenhouse for the winter. I have started two new standards this year, I just love them, they are such a joy to grow and so easy to take cuttings to get new plants.

23/10/2012 at 19:22

Kate, Jean is spot on explaining how to grow Fuchsia standards, it may sound a bit daunting but have a go, it is quite easy but patience is needed.                                    

Maureen, I also have brought a Brugmansia inside ( it is still full of flowers)  I only prune to keep it in shape, any prunings I use as cuttings which root very easily  .

23/10/2012 at 20:53

I just love this forum. It is so imformatitive and everyone so nice .

1 to 20 of 21 messages