Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Strawberry plants

My strawberry plants are in pots and a trough standing on bricks in a tier - 3 tier deep.  I only have small garden so they are clustered together under an open metal arch.  This afternoon I was separating the runners from where I had planted them into pots and was shocked to find flowers and 3 very small strawberries growing.  Is anyone else finding strawberries on 9 October?  The strain is Cambridge and one other but can't remember the name.  I have a live in frog amongst them which has stopped me from any other work.  I think I'll cover the whole block  with bubble wrap to see what happens.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267
    Early fruiting varieties usually do give a second crop but need a good summer. I've some in flower with fruit but doubt they ripen bow.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

I had to snip loads of flowers off the Cambridge Favourites today and a few of them had started to form fruits.I decided it was best for the plants to conserve their strength for next season. I did get one very big, sweet and juicy strawberry off a Honeoye......very nice surprise.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Mine (in South Yorkshire) have just finished their second crop (very tasty) and I've started to snip off the remaining flowers to give them chance to conserve energy for the winter.

• Yes, I also have a few flowers on my plants and picked three green strawberries yesterday and put them on the windowsill to see if they will ripen there, as I don't think we are getting enough sun for them to ripen on the plants.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I don't think strawbs will ripen off the plant like toms will, but must be worth a try.

I think I'd take them off anyway, and let the plant build up its reserves for next year.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I have lots on mine - but they're an everbearing variety. I wasn't impressed with the fruit on them last year though.

Lousy year for strawbs this year - here anyway, so if any fruits develop - the birds can have them!  image 

I had flowers recently on some of the other variety I have. Snipped them off, as others have done, to save energy.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I might just have been unlucky then philippa.

If you want runners, let me know. They seem very promiscuous....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you to all who responded.  The other strawberries are Honeoye, as soon as I saw the name from Ceres I remembered.  I'll cut the flowers off as suggested above.