London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
5 messages
18/01/2014 at 14:07

I have an Arbutus Unedo ,strawberry tree, in my garden but it has never fruited in the 20 years I have had it. Is it self fertile or should I get another to get fruit?

20/01/2014 at 18:29

Hi Susan

It is self fertile. I wonder if its habit of flowering one year and fruiting the next is the problem. It evolved in a warmer climate than ours.

21/01/2014 at 14:44

I think I'd dig it up susan, it is probably a sterile sport, grown on by mistake. Norfolk isnt a bad climate for it, so I'd replace it.

23/01/2014 at 21:00

Susan.  Arbutus generally is accepted as being a shrub in most case.  Could you clarify the identity a little more.  I ask this because.  In the case of Arbutus, generally they will all produce flowers, however not all go on to produce the fruits.  Once the true identity is discovered, perhaps a brief description of the bark etc.  Remember that Arbutus belong to the Ericaceae family.  So a more acid type soil is required.  Sometimes rot pruning can help, but your tree/shrub, having survide some twenty years.  I'd be inclined to accept it as a NON-FRUITING var.

I look out each day to an Arbutus, across the road, in a local park.  Recently I drew the attention of the local council's Arborist. Sadly having suffered children climbing and jumping about on it, several boughs had cracked.  The crown has now been taken out. Even now this old toughie is flowering.  This ones appears to flower and fruit contiuously.

Please feel free to email me.  mikeallen.a@ntlworld.com

24/01/2014 at 15:27

Thanks for your help. I will accept it as a non fruiting variety. I don't think I still have the papers that came with the tree. As for digging it up I couldn't bear it unless it was diseased or causing damage. I shall just enjoy the flowers and the questioning looks from people when I tell them I have a Strawberry Tree.

email image
5 messages