London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
5 messages
16/09/2012 at 16:42

Hi

Being new to gardening, i am looking for some advise on what would be the best low maintenance hedge, possibly that flowers and is of medium height?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks Lesley 

16/09/2012 at 20:20

We need to know a few more things,

Where is the hedge going to be growing, a town garden or rural?

What sort of aspect - sunny or shady?

What sort of soil do you have, sandy, clay, loam?

Do you want the hedge to attract wildlife, nesting birds, pollenating insects etc?

How long are you prepared to wait for the hedge to reach the height you want?

16/09/2012 at 20:29

Hi

The hedge is for the front of our house, sunny aspect, the soil is a mix of top soil/ compost and manure to one spade depth.

Only want it to grow to a max of 1.5mtr and would like it to attract wildlife and birds and be evergreen.

Time isn't so much an issue on growing.

Thanks for your response 

16/09/2012 at 20:44

I think my choice would be a holly - JC van Toll is a good one that has few prickles and is self fertile so will bear berries even if there's no male bushes around.  It's really good for wildlife http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/wildlifegarden/atoz/h/holly.aspx

and if  trimmed each year it will grow into an attractive  bushy hedge with flowers in the spring and bright red berries in the winter.

New shoots are a purplish colour so you get a lot of variety of shades throughout the year.

16/09/2012 at 21:18

How about a cotoneaster? Flowers and berries for the birds? I planted a cotoneaster hedge this year with cell plants as i wanted something with year round interest and wildlife friendly.

email image
5 messages