Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Suitable plant ideas please..

Abby2Abby2 Posts: 101

Have just widened my flower beds and would like to put in some ground cover - something that will survive underneath various deciduous trees along an east facing border. Soil is very heavy clay and alkaline. Has been improved a bit after a few years of mulching and adding lots of additional compost and manure. Any suggestions gratefully received image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Geranium macrorrhizum, vincas, pulmonarias, snowdrops would come through those

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,657

Not sure about the east facing bit, but hellebores, foxgloves, bleeding heart, astilbes and hydrangas do well in shaded beds have all of those under my big oak tree and they do very well. Also have a leavy plant there too but can't remember the name, but will look it up.

Its called ...Heuchera...

• You could also put hardy geraniums in I have heavy clay soil and they love it also geum's, heuchera. Primroses would probably like it .

• Abby2Abby2 Posts: 101

That's great - thank you for those suggestions. Off to the garden centre today so gives me plenty to look at image

Happy plant shopping Abby, look forward to hearing about  your purchases image