London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
421 to 440 of 503 messages
02/07/2013 at 21:08

Yes it was me, and I did enjoy your pics.Thank you.( I hope to get a new phone shortly and to send pics from that.)

KEF
02/07/2013 at 21:12

Look forward to seeing them. I've an old phone so do it by camera, upload by wires and down size and post etc..still in 20th C

02/07/2013 at 21:32
artjak wrote (see)

Salino, I'm in the Fens too; Norfolk /Cambs border! So we have similar weather to contend with. Verdun suggests taking cuttings to keep favourite varieties.

..hi Jak....sounds like you're just down the road...... it's a big place isn't it..? lots of quite isolated homes too, down these 'droves'..as they are called here...

..yes, cuttings...I prefer the so called Irishman's version, otherwise I like to buy in fresh each year, a different variety perhaps, something new... you know?  I don't drink, or smoke, so buying a few plants form gardencentre is something I allow for... I've just bought some new Dianthus 'Odessa Red'... Carnations to us... this one was first seen at Chelsea 4 years ago... it's quite a dark rich red, almost royal if there is such a term... not as much scent as it says on the label... but I quite like the colour... I imagine it might appeal to an artist...

02/07/2013 at 21:36

Artjak, I will have check online to see if it's still available.  It is a weak plant.....I think true blues in penstemons make for fragile plants but the quality of the blue is worth it.  I need to take cuttings every year and only one or two make it.  I did come across another true blue, similar to Joyce grenfell, but that survived only for the summer.

03/07/2013 at 09:30

Pentatemon "Electric Blue" is hardy for me and bushier each year.  Lvely blue.

03/07/2013 at 11:04

Artjak, Joyce grenfell seems to,have disappeared.  I have grown most of the varieties of pemstemon and very few turn out to,be pure blue.  Joyce grenfell was.  My plant ....only one remaining and prob 4 th generation cutting ....is poor grower compared to previous plants.  Perhaps that's why it seems unavailable now.  I will still try to locate it though. ,if I do I will post on forum.

03/07/2013 at 12:04

Two lovely summer newcomers to my garden - a parasitiv broomrape - i think it is Orobanche hederae and my latest rose "Nurse tracy".

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26645.jpg?width=1046&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26647.jpg?width=340&height=350&mode=max

03/07/2013 at 12:16

Did the broomrape just appear , Marion or did you sow seeds or plant it?

03/07/2013 at 19:42

I have a lot of ivy in the front garden and it just appeared.  i have sown seed from Newport Docks at the bristol university Botanic garden and had some success.  you have to be patient.  i have also planted pieces of ivy with the pseudo bulbs attached which were brought from the Bristol gorge as part of thr remit of the Bot. garden is to show local native and rare flowers and had some success.  the Garden itself, not mine i@m afraid was established as a private garden in 1879 when the house was built on an ancient woodland site and has toothwort appearing in corners difficult for the visitors to see so the curator collected seed and the head gardener gave them to me to sow under suitable host plants.  Everytime i visit i go and look from April onwards just in case!  they are so beautiful and so interesting.

04/07/2013 at 08:08

Thank you Verdun

Salino, I am not very fond of red; my red tubes of paint are all pretty ancient as they very rarely get used I love orange/apricot and though I don't much like purple shades, they seem to work well in the garden.

04/07/2013 at 08:41

Arrjak

Maybe a thread about colours in the garden as an artist sees them.  Both complementary and comtrasting?   Orange and blue is nice for me.  Yellow and white?  Blue and red?  Blue n pink?  Blue on silver and grey?  Yellow and purple?  

Colours in the garden different from those used in a painting?

04/07/2013 at 09:11

Verdun, have you read gertrude jekylls colour in the garden?

I think she was an artist, who then translated it into the garden. I also think she had several under gardeners doing the donkey work. 

I beieve both Monet and gertrude Jekyll had cataracts and that affected their planting schemes. Broad brush strokes of colour wash type effect , if you know what I mean.

04/07/2013 at 09:53

Red rose, Tess of the Turberville's is a knockout in my garden, and great against a dark foliage background.

Orange and purple?

04/07/2013 at 12:19

I had to dig up my Tess of the d'Urbervilles, beautiful crimson, because the deer were killing her. I put her in a pot 2 years ago and she make a great recovery and now the blasted deer have found her again, right near the house and she has a bare bottom.

04/07/2013 at 13:03

Are you going to cut back hard and start again? 

04/07/2013 at 13:54

Fidget, no not read that book ...will do though. ,thanks

KEF, penstemon garnet is good reliable old fashioned variety.  For something a little different look at Husker's Red......purple foliage and delicate.  

Another agastache opening..raspberry summer.  Everything's quick now

04/07/2013 at 13:57

Garnet is hardier than most.

04/07/2013 at 15:27

I won't cut hard at the moment as the top half is fine and she's need her leaves for nourishment.

04/07/2013 at 16:42

Just been on my dads allotment and while wondering around noticed his strawberries, which are frankly, humongous, here is a pic with a pound coin for scale.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26769.jpg?width=329&height=350&mode=max

I have eaten smaller apples

04/07/2013 at 17:37

Sorry, Verdun,

actually just checked in the library (front bedroom), and its called

Colour schemes for the flower garden,

subtitled   The Illustrated Gertrude Jekyll.

421 to 440 of 503 messages