Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

summer pruning

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i'm a month behind reading but just saw article on summer pruning,haven't done this before but it made lots of sense, my only confusion was with the methods described for philadel;phus, then they had notes on newer shrubs which my philadelphus is, just over a year old, but it wasn't listed as a plant on that section, any advice welcome re this and roses, thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,068

You can prune shrubs like philadelphus immediately after they finish flowering as they flower on old wood.   This method keeps them to size whilst encouraging new shoots which will flower next year.

As they get older they can get congested and then you take out a third of teh stems each year, taking the oldest each time.  That helsp your shrub stay airy and well shaped.

For me, summer pruning of roses should simply consist of removing dead heads back to a leaf node but if I find a particularly weak, spindly or bare stem I'll cut that right back to its base to improve the look and direct energy into stronger stems that will give me more flowers..

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I get very confused with pruning too RM, so many ways and timings image

I cut back my climbing toes quite hard in the spring (you may remember my picture when I was gutted because it looked so bare!!) it is now flower ing better than ever with loads of new growth this year.

OH. Wants me to cut back the lavender because it's gone mad and is overtaking the patio area now!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    Orchid Lady wrote (see)

I get very confused with pruning too RM, so many ways and timings image

I cut back my climbing toes quite hard in the spring..............

Wasn't that painful???????????

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Well Dove, I thought if I cut my toes it would take the pain away from the ankle image

Flaming autocorrect!!  Of course that was meant to say ROSE imageimage

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's why I don't use it OL - I'd get into no end of trouble...image

The vast majority of shrubs won't die if you prune incorrectly or at the wrong time. Losing flowers the following year is usually the only major setback. In a lot of cases it can do them the world of good. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Thanks Fairy, I just need to learn to be braver and have more faith in myself image

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i get mixed up with what flowers on this years/last years wood/shoots, want to cut fig tree back more as it's taking over again, but don't want to have no figs at aLL NEXT YEAR, IT LOOKS LIKE IT FRUITS on old wood, i'll google. sorry for shouting very wriggly 8 month old has incredible reach

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,068

Try googling "RHS+plant name+cultivation".   It works very well for many plants and you get expert advice.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato