London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 15°C
7 messages
02/08/2012 at 16:46

I sowed some swede (Helenor) a few weeks ago in a small square of a raised bed. I don't see much coming out of the soil, except for the 2 specimen below, which are coming just at the border of the bed. I never grew any swede, and don't know what they should be looking like at this stage. Can some one tell me if this is swede or weeds (...which I notice are anagram of each other!)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10523.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

02/08/2012 at 17:06

That does not look like swede leaves to me-it looks a bit like potato leaves-is that likely-from peelings in compost or previous crop?

Actually those are not "seed" leaves at all

02/08/2012 at 17:29

This is what I thought... Thanks, I'll get rid of them. That could hardly be potatoes from earlier sowings, because I didn't have the raised bed then. But it's true that it looks like it... I hope it's not peelings that were in the compost I added! Thanks for your n-th reply, much appreciated!

02/08/2012 at 18:55
02/08/2012 at 19:24

Interestingly, swedes are never very successful growing in a garden situation. They prefer an open field where the air and wind blows around!

03/08/2012 at 08:20

Thanks for all your advice. I'll bear in mind the search for "plant-xyz seedlings". I ran that for "swede" but the images weren't showing what I was looking for. For rounding this mysterious plant query: I pulled them out yesterday, and "Sotongeoff" was correct. There were tiny potatoes beneath the roots! I cannot understand: it's either a compost trouble (B&Q... never again: I had too many problems with it!!!), or else... I'd say a hungry bird who dropped a potato in my garden, as a way to beg for some fish and chips? (weather has been very tough on birds this year).

03/08/2012 at 16:52

You did however mention potato peelings in the compost, guess that is pretty sure to be where it came from.  Swede can be very difficult, which always seems odd when other turnip family things I have tried are not - oh well, that's the joy of gardening. 

email image
7 messages