Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sweet peas from this year's seed - do they come true?

Hi all - I have left a few of the better performing sweet peas to go to seed and now have quite a good supply of seeds. Questions: will they come true if I sow them? and question 2, since I want to have a display in June next year, should I sow them now or is it too early? Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

They will germinate fine, although you may get a mixture of colours. All sweet pea flowers look great together anyway so Im never fussy with the colours!

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Plus you can sow them now and keep them in a coldframe/greenhouse over winter image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks both - I'll give it a whirl & sow them this weekend. Will probably go for the cold frame option and hope for the best! image

• Depends if they are F1 varieties, they don't come true

• Too early to be sowing sweet peas!

• When would you recommend David? I have never sown in autumn before so not sure of the best time?

• Order in the border wrote (see)

When would you recommend David? I have never sown in autumn before so not sure of the best time?

There really isn't an exact time.....it's broadly accepted that sowing should be done in the autumn, but then, it isn't even autumn yet.

I tend to sow according to the prevailing weather conditions rather than a specific time. The best case scenario is to sow when there is still sufficient warmth to germinate the seed followed by cold weather to prevent them putting on growth. This could be as late as November.

I usually add this info here:  http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/growing-sweet-peas/6143-56.html